Chick hatched with no butt

Songbird21

Songster
9 Years
Oct 19, 2012
We had a chick hatch that was very strange. She had a rectum and all the other parts but was missing her butt. Here's a pic of the chick with its sibling. The top chick is normal and the bottom one is very much not. We had it for 3 days but we loved it. Could there have been internal issues we didn't know of? Also, what causes this kind of deformity?

Attachments

• IMG_20201021_181001.jpg
    IMG_20201021_181001.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 69
I think the chick is rumpless. I don't know a lot about rumplessness, but I do know that it can happen naturally and won't usually affect the chick other than looking a bit odd and decreased fertility sometimes. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as she's acting normal.

I’m confused, is the chick alive still? And is the chick able to poop? What kind of chick breed is it? And depending on the breed, could be generic or actually due to the kind of chicken (breed).

The rumpless breed is Araucana, a South American Chicken, which has been brought to the US and bred into other lines. Sorry if i spelled it wrong - but you can find MANY pics of them online. Frankly, but I find the comment about shaking eggs to produce a deformity ridiculous and unlikely. Embryos are fragile and won't survive that.

Back
Top Bottom