Chick hatched without fully closed navel

khpadventures

Songster
May 26, 2020
I just had a chick hatch whose navel hasn't fully closed....it has about a dime size amount of red intestinal type things showing. Is there anything I can do for it? Or is this sort of just going to be a slow death :/

I just had a chick hatch whose navel hasn't fully closed....it has about a dime size amount of red intestinal type things showing. Is there anything I can do for it? Or is this sort of just going to be a slow death :/
Sorry, its terribly hard to see but here is a picture.

Attachments

• 20210701_111257.jpg
    20210701_111257.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 34
When I have a hatchling with an unhealed navel, I put antibiotic ointment without pain reliever on it, wrap the hatchling in a dry, clean paper towel, place it in a cup (a small clean plastic plant pot also works well) and back into the incubator to finish absorbing it.

I can't tell from the photo if your chick just has unabsorbed yolk or something else going on. There are threads like with photos on here of unabsorbed yolks (like this one) - it may be helpful to you to review some to determine if it is just unabsorbed yolk.

Best of luck with your chick!

*warning graphic photos*
When I have a hatchling with an unhealed navel, I put antibiotic ointment without pain reliever on it, wrap the hatchling in a dry, clean paper towel, place it in a cup (a small clean plastic plant pot also works well) and back into the incubator to finish absorbing it.

I can't tell from the photo if your chick just has unabsorbed yolk or something else going on. There are threads like with photos on here of unabsorbed yolks (like this one) - it may be helpful to you to review some to determine if it is just unabsorbed yolk.

Best of luck with your chick!

It is both an unabsorbed yolk and an open navel :( she is doing oddly well though? She is super fiesty and the navel hole is closing..

I followed your advice and put her in a little dish, but without the paper towel because I am nervous about her would drying and sticking to it.

I'm putting neosporin on it, because that's all I have. I wish I had antibiotics on hand :(

I doubt she is going to survive, but she's certainly trying to give it a go, so so will I!!

Attachments

• 20210701_122903.jpg
    20210701_122903.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210701_163628.jpg
    20210701_163628.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 30
Glad she's doing well! I haven't run into issues with the paper towel sticking because the antibiotic ointment (coconut oil could also be used) slathered onto the area prevents it from adhering.

In the first pic, it looks like some hatching gunk may be a part of what's hanging on, but it's hard to tell for certain. If so, the unhealed navel doesn't look too severe.

Rooting for your chick! Keep us posted. 🙂

Glad she's doing well! I haven't run into issues with the paper towel sticking because the antibiotic ointment (coconut oil could also be used) slathered onto the area prevents it from adhering.

In the first pic, it looks like some hatching gunk may be a part of what's hanging on, but it's hard to tell for certain. If so, the unhealed navel doesn't look too severe.

Rooting for your chick! Keep us posted. 🙂
Okay, is that hole that is open her vent? Because I'm pretty sure she's pooping out of it....but here she is now about 10 hours after hatch. Also, im thinking now that yolk stuff is just dried on, not attached to anything internal...

Attachments

• 20210701_201235.jpg
    20210701_201235.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 31
Okay, is that hole that is open her vent? Because I'm pretty sure she's pooping out of it....but here she is now about 10 hours after hatch. Also, im thinking now that yolk stuff is just dried on, not attached to anything internal...
No, that's not her vent. I don't believe her navel sealed up. The vent is below her tail.
She'll be susceptible to bacterial infections.

There's a photo in this thread that shows an unhealed navel and, above it and right under the tail, the vent.

What is the yellow gunk attached by - a thin thread?

Yes,
There's a photo in this thread that shows an unhealed navel and, above it and right under the tail, the vent.

What is the yellow gunk attached by - a thin thread?
It was a thin thread. I soaked it off once she seemed stable and saw it wasn't attached, thank goodness!

She is still doing well, working on healing up.

There was clearly something wrong with my incubator temp/humidity as the second egg that hatched had an unabsorbed yolk. The first chick (pictured above) is doing well, in the brooder eating drinking and pooping. Still not 100% closed up but very close, so I think it will come down to infection if I lose her at this point.

The second chick is still doing bowl time working on getting that yolk absorbed. That one is my fault, the poor thing pipped at the wrong end and I went in for the assisted hatch too soon. I was just so worried about her giving up! Things might turn out okay though.

Back
Top Bottom