Chick hatched without upper eyelids—what can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haleth, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Haleth

Haleth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    I just had a Show Girl chick hatch without any upper eyelids about an hour ago. I thought I noticed something was wrong when I checked in on her progress earlier; it kind of looked like her eye was too large. Now that she's hatched, I see that she can't fully close her eyes at all, just move the lower lids. I wish I could take a picture or video, but I can't find my camera. I'm hoping that someone can give me some kind of hope so I don't have to cull her. I had to cull one of my hens earlier this week, the first time ever. If I DO have to cull this chick, I guess I'd like to do it soon, before her eyes get dried out and/or infected, and maybe it won't be as difficult as culling my poor Serama girl.

Does anyone have any advice or experience to share with me? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    So sorry. I would cull immediately.

3. Haleth

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh, I was afraid it'd be so. [​IMG] Thanks, CMV.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I agree cull.. so sorry. [​IMG]

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I am sorry you have to go through this ;(

6. Haleth

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks, redhen. I'm off to do that now, I guess. Sooner is better than later.

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    i would give it a chance, a couple of days just to see how it does, then depending on how it does, go from there.

8. Haleth

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks, 3chimama and hd_mechanic. The deed is done. I couldn't leave her, as hard as it was. Her eyes were already developing a film or something over them from the brooder light. I didn't think there was much of a chance for her, but I was hoping someone had had a similar experience and...I don't know, could tell me how to fix her eyes. It was far-fetched, I guess. Thanks again for the advice and sympathy. This would've been harder without BYC.

9. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    sorry you had to cull but it was definently the right and humane thing to do

10. Haleth

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks, incubatingisfun, it helps knowing that.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by