Chick Hatching Out Pointy End

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kukupecpec, Feb 11, 2013.

1. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    Hey there!

So I've got this one chick, he pipped first, so I've been watching him, and wondered if everything is ok if he is hatching out the pointy end instead of the fat end. I peeled back the shell a little until I got reddish membrane. He looks really twisted up in there. Do you think he will need help hatching? Will he be ok if he hatches or will something be wrong with him because he didn't turn the right way in the egg?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I haven't had much success with chicks living when they come out backwards, however once you can get the shell open enough, try to gently grab the beak and pull his head out, then he should be able to scramble out.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I cannot see it's beak in any of the pics. Is it's beak clear so it can breathe? It looks like it's still got a bit of blood in the membrane, so it's not ready to come out just yet. chicks often, well, most of the time, pip through the shell hours before it's ready to come out. They do this so they can breathe, but they will still need to absorb the blood in the membrane and the yolk sac, so don't rush to help until there's no sign of blood. I use the blood in the membrane to guide me with hatches. If there's blood, stop!

It probably will need a hand seeing it's managed to get itself into that position, but don't worry. Put that chick in the incubator with the humidity up to keep it moist and read through this article on assisted hatches. It will tell you exactly what to do and what to look for:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Best of luck!!

1 person likes this.
  4. kukupecpec

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    You can see the beak pretty well in the first picture, it's back though so it does kinda blend in until you see it. I made sure he was clear to breathe, hes just so tangled up in himself I'm sure he;s having a hard time actually taking breathe in.

Ho funny! While you were replying, I was already reading that thread! I knew to stop at the blood, and it doesn't look like it's continuing to bleed, but he has gone back into the bator. Along with the other guy that is hatching out the pointy end. Gave them both good access to air and now I have to find something to occupy myself with so I can wait it out.

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I just had another look and I saw it now. If it's having difficulty breathing you can help it clear it's head and stretch it's neck, but try and keep it in the shell until it's ready. The article explains everything well, so I'll leave you to it. Good luck and please keep us posted!

6. kukupecpec

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    Thanks for the help! They all hatched out beautifully! Everyone looks alive and healthy so fingers crossed they all keep it up!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  7. jobouss

jobouss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Tupelo, MS
    Awww they are so cute. I am glad everything worked out. Congrats!

8. kukupecpec

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    Thanks! They are so fun!

When can I take them out of the incubator and put them in the brooder?

9. Chicken Keith

Chicken Keith Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,

Can someone tell me (or give your theories) why a chick hatches breech? i.e. out the pointy end. I lost two Cuckoo Marans last year because of this phenomenon. I began hatching eggs in 1976, and never had I seen this, ever.

Now reading this thread it appears lots of folks are seeing it too. Thoughts anyone?

10. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The most common cause that I'm aware off is positioning of the egg, i.e. the egg is set pointy end up during incubation. There are other factors too, such as incorrect turning of the eggs, incorrect humidity, etc. Here is an study on malpositioned chicks and deformed chicks and the causes:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm095

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by