Chick having trouble finding its legs

Lalegid

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 26, 2014
Newly hatched chick, hatched 8 hours ago. She still isn't walking - it's like she's having trouble weight-bearing. Her legs don't look splayed so I'm not sure if I should just wait and see how she is tomorrow? She can push herself up but can't seem to maintain standing.

Hello,

This can be normal for some chicks. I would strongly suggest, however, that you make sure it has access to water. Without water during those first few hours can cause more problems. If he/she isn't drinking on their own I would suggest you force water it. This will help keep it's body hydrated throughout the first milestones of development outside of the egg.

P.S. Watch the chick closely as you don't want the other picking the one which isn't walking yet. Chicks will oftentimes do this as a process of natural selection. Just keep an eye on it and if he/she needs to be isolated I would then do that.

Thank you. Water and food is near-by, I will keep a close eye on her. :)

I think you can wait on water and food for up to 72hrs...they consume the yolk during that time....give her a chance to work it out...she might just do it!
smile.png

Most people will tell you you can leave your chicks in the bator up to three days (I don't personally) without having to worry, so if they can be stuck in a bator for three days, I'm sure your chick has plenty of time to adjust and stregthen before you have to worry about food/water. When "day old" chicks are shipped, no one is feeding and watering them. They absorb the yolk before hatching which fills them for a while. :) Hope it strengthens up.

Back
Top Bottom