Chick help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lyndatu, Nov 24, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Hello [​IMG]

I got the chicks now! They're now in the brooder and I'm just about to put the light. But, unfortunately we didn't get the 2 silkies as my uncle promised because of some problems in his clinic. Anyways, can you help me with some stuff?

Do chicks fight back? I'm worried when I carry them around. I can only rub their backs and they seem to like it. I'm afraid to grab them because the might peck me or they might become uncomfortable. Advice?

How do I clean the wood shavings(Yes, that's right)? Wood shavings are expensive! I just want to clean them so they will last long and I don't need to buy another batch.

Thanks in advance! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh and unfortunately I'm having trouble with my camera. I think I'm just going to use the phone camera instead.....And I'm having trouble holding them!

2. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    it's natural for chicks to struggle when they are handled. Chickens are a prey animal and naturally have a good survival instinct. To get them used to you handle them gently, but briefly, every day. A few minutes is long enough, you don't want to stress them. Put your hand in with treats in it and let them come to you and eat from your hand, they will learn that you=treats.

I never heard of cleaning the shavings, if you clean out the poopiest parts and refresh the shavings I guess it would last longer, but you can't use shavings again, and it would take a lot longer than just changing them.

Enjoy your babies!

3. lyndatu

Nov 13, 2007
    Thanks. I think I'll give them some treats. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Baby chicks don't need any treats except their chick starter for weeks. If you give them anything else, they'll need chick grit or they'll get an impacted crop. I didn't know what you meant by treats, but thought I'd mention that.

5. AppleCrisp

AppleCrisp Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2007
    I don't think you can reuse shavings... But as for them being expensive you can buy them in a HUGE bag at petland for roughly 10$. [​IMG] Just ask them where it is.

6. speckledhen

Just stir the shavings around once a day and the fresh poop will fall to the bottom and dry out. Occasionally, add more on top, a few handfuls in the brooder, and one bag will last awhile. You dont' need to do a total cleanout of the shavings for weeks, if you do it that way, unless you think it's smelling too much for you.

7. lyndatu

Nov 13, 2007
    Thanks again!

I tried to hold my chick for the 4th time, and they seem not to struggle very much. Thanks! [​IMG]

If I visit the brooder, they seem happy. But, when I leave, they start chirping violently. What does that mean?

Oh, and I put a low roost in the brooder, but they don't seem to sleep on it. They're 3 days old, by the way. They just look at it curiously. I put some "stairs" so they can get to the roost easier, but they just like to sit on the stairs. Any help?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  8. speckledhen

They're really too young to want to roost yet. Give them a couple of weeks and they'll get the hang of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by