chick hit by coyote.. alive but hurt

jjconcepts

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
milford ct
a coyote pup managed to get a paw on a friends 3 month old chick.. the wounds aren't very deep. she is cuddling up by the fireplace, this happened around 2 in the morning, a little while ago (1:00 EST) the eye near one of the cuts was puffy and filling with a clear fluid.. it is drained...

I have no Idea what to do next. she is not eating or drinking yet (that Can Be seen)

I posted this for a friend that cannot get to her computer, hopefully she will be by soon..

thank you for your help
-joe-

I had a chicken that was attacked by a coyote. I flushed her wounds with a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. Then I put Neosporin on the wounds every day, for about a week. I kept her inside the house during this time. She made a full recovery. But she was eating and drinking just fine.

we will see how it goes overnight... the puss just flushed out when the eye was opened by hand real wide... I will try to get a camera for pics... thank you and please check back.

-joe-

Go to the "uploads" link across the top of the page here , it will walk you through, once your picture shows up, then cut and paste the link it gives you ( not thumbnail... that will be too small) into a post here.

Nancy

23633_bird_2.jpg

23633_bird_1.jpg

i think that will work.. thanks...
Cell phone camera- if she is too swollen, can we just bsically poke it with a sterilized pin?

and do I need to see a vet for antibiotics- (really a LOT of money - 100$ for the 'intro' visit)
-joe-

Drop water and/or watered down food on the side of her beak nd let her pull it into her mouth if she will. Flush the eye with saline. Some antibiotic ophthalmic ointment and injectable penicillin from the feed store would be good. Look her over very carefully for any other wounds. There are other things you can do to boost nutrition, but they will do no good if you can't get her eating and drinking, starting with drinking.

She may have internal injuries, or she may just be in shock.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom