Chick holding head on back

NitaAZ

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
We picked up our chicks on Sunday. When we opened the box, one of them was holding her head straight back, resting the back of her head on her back.

We've watched her pretty close over the past 2 days. She can pull her head into a normal position and eat and drink and preen. But. . . any major stimulus, and any time she takes a drink, that head is thrown straight back and goes into spasms.

I haven't been able to find what this is and if there is any hope for this chick. Every time I think she's finally dying, she perks up, runs around, eats, preens, etc. She does seem to sleep a lot more than the other chicks.

Any ideas?

Nita

Sorry that this won't be detailed or very helpful but I did read something on here about that recently. They call it "stargazing" or something like that. I think it's neurological. Someone with experience will be along soon with details I'm sure...

And, congrats on your new babies...

Thanks for the reply. I felt that it was neurologic.

I will search on stargazing now!

Nita

I wanted to give an update on this chick. She arrived on Sunday, and as I said, was stargazing when we opened the box.

Each day, she was "normal" for a little bit longer at a time. Today, I never saw her stargaze (although I didn't watch her all the time). She was running around acting completely normal.

Nita

Back
Top Bottom