Chick Identification and Question about a Buff Brahma

sshapiro01

Hatching
Mar 7, 2022
Hi there! I have 15 new baby chicks (about 2 weeks old now). I have had chickens for years, but am starting a new flock with some new varieties. All of the chicks are healthy so far except for one that is supposedly a Buff Brahma. She is limping, favoring her right leg, does not seem to have much control over it, and does not keep it underneath her. She is vaccinated for coccidiosis and mareks. She is alert, eating and drinking well, but having a hard time managing with the bad leg. Is this typical with this breed? Will this correct or is she 'doomed'? She is on large chip bedding and has been since day 2 (except the feeder that I keep on paper towels on a piece of cardboard). The pictures do not really show how far out she keeps the leg- best that I could get.
Also, does anyone know what the lighter colored chick is?

Attachments

• IMG_5435.jpg
    IMG_5435.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5437.jpg
    IMG_5437.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5438.jpg
    IMG_5438.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5428.jpg
    IMG_5428.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the reply. I agree that it looks like a splayed leg. I tried to put a band on her legs to keep them together but she is so strong that she keeps getting it off. Not sure what else I can do for her.

Thanks for the reply. I agree that it looks like a splayed leg. I tried to put a band on her legs to keep them together but she is so strong that she keeps getting it off. Not sure what else I can do for her.
I am actually battling splayed leg (some actually said it’s not splayed leg, so I’m not sure what else it could be). I’ll let you know what I decide to do!

Back
Top Bottom