Chick identification

Mewmew

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2019
When i went to collect some more eggs from a local smallholding, the lady kindly offered me two chicks! She said the one in particular she wouldnt be able to sell because that batch were all supposed to be buff orpingtons, but this little guy has completely different colouring so she couldn't be sure what it is. So she gave it to me for free, plus a friend so it wouldnt be lonely. ♡

Both chicks are 1 week old but the non orpington is larger. It has two dark marks on its head and grey/brown speckles only on its wings. No particular pattern. This farm also breeds brahmas and other opringtons but the lady said she doesn't recognise any of the colourings from her other breeds of chicks. Could it be a cross? A stray egg?

Can anyone identify the breed/cross breed from these photos?

Attachments

• 20190929_215111.jpg
    20190929_215111.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
So in an attempt to encourage my overdue egg to hatch and to try again at incubation, when i went to collect some more eggs from a local smallholding, the lady kindly offered me two chicks! She said the one in particular she wouldnt be able to sell because that batch were all supoosed to be buff orpingtons, but this little guy has completely different colouring. So she gave it to me for free, pkus a friend so it wouldnt be lonely. Both chicks are 1 week old but the non orpington is larger. It has two datk marks on its head and grey/brown speckles only on its wings. No particular patteren. She also breeds brahmas and other opringtons but said she doesnt recognise any of the colourings from the other breeds chicks. Could it be a cross?

Attachments

• 20190930_185334.jpg
    20190930_185334.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190930_185311.jpg
    20190930_185311.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 19
I'll post up a pic every week. The colours on the wings are getting stronger every day- they seem darker today. Pic to follow. (Once i can get chickie still enough to get a decent photo). :)

It's likely a cross, and will be fun to watch as it grows. More pictures later, please!
Mary
This was taken today- almost 3 weeks old now. The neck has some buff feathers coming in, but the back is going the same as the wings. Still jo clue as to the breed/cross breed.

Attachments

• 20191010_225926.jpg
    20191010_225926.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 12
Does it have clean legs or feathers?
Clean legs whereas the buff orp has feathers growing on the legs. The neck feathers are buff, but along the spine are grey feathers with a similar pattern to the wings, and a buff line of feathers just before the tail feathers. No feathers under the wings yet, but chest feathers are starting to come through. Its still slightly larger than the buff orp and much heavier. Still no clue as to breed or sex. I'll post more photos up at the end of the week to show progress. :)

Back
Top Bottom