Chick in the incubator when I got home and a egg exploded??

peakpoultry

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Marana, Arizona
Ok so, when I got home a few minutes ago, there is a chick in the incubator and I smelled something YUCK as soon as I walked in, an egg exploded in there!? What should I do with the chick and the eggs. Do you think the chick has bacteria on it from the egg? The chick smells just like it. Do you think the eggs will be ok? Should I wipe them off??

Quote:
sounds like the exploded egg was a non-fertil one. Did you candel them all?? Once the chick fully dries out..get him to the brooder and then proceed to wipe him down once he has some water/food in him.

As for clean up, i wouldn't risk it since it's so late in the bator stage.

Quote:
sounds like the exploded egg was a non-fertil one. Did you candel them all?? Once the chick fully dries out..get him to the brooder and then proceed to wipe him down once he has some water/food in him.

I have 20 eggs in there that are not due to hatch until the 22nd. Do you think I should risk it? i really don't want to lose these eggs.

Quote:

I have 20 eggs in there that are not due to hatch until the 22nd. Do you think I should risk it? i really don't want to lose these eggs.

hmmm i thought it would be closer to hatch, staggered egg hatching i imagine?? You could do 2 thing's, one is to take the egg's out and wipe everything down in under about 2 minuet's...or..you could find some way to mist a dissinfectant on top of the mess for a sort of "quick fix" to your bacteria/germ spread problem. One will take a few minuet's, the other a few seconds. As long as none of them are pipping the shell's "which im sure they are not" then whatever road you take should not be a baby killing one
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

hmmm i thought it would be closer to hatch, staggered egg hatching i imagine?? You could do 2 thing's, one is to take the egg's out and wipe everything down in under about 2 minuet's...or..you could find some way to mist a dissinfectant on top of the mess for a sort of "quick fix" to your bacteria/germ spread problem. One will take a few minuet's, the other a few seconds. As long as none of them are pipping the shell's "which im sure they are not" then whatever road you take should not be a baby killing one
wink.png

I have another incubator that is ready to go, I had it ready for some quail eggs I am getting. I think I am going to wipe off the eggs that have the bad egg on them. Most of the eggs didn't get anything on them but they do stink. I don't know, I will just wipe them off and see what happens.

Ok so, I wiped off all the eggs except for 6 that had bad egg all over them. 3 were fertile and 1 was almost fully developed, the other 2 were nothing. How sad I had to kill a little chick!, I cracked them open just to see, well I should have never done that!!
hit.gif
. I am so mad at myself I should have known not to buy shipped eggs!!
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom