Chick in unincubated egg!

Greengirljmt

Hatching
Mar 16, 2023
Hello, this is my first post. I had a bunch of unwashed eggs on my counter that I was preparing to hard boil. When I was washing them, one was a floater. Out of curiosity, I cracked it and there was a chick inside! It seemed mostly formed. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. My house is kept about 60-65 degrees.

I have a broody hatching chicks right now, so I put the egg back together and put it under her. Is that okay? The chick seemed very well formed and I didn’t have the heart to dispose of it. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you!

Was the chick still alive? Did you seal the egg back?

What may have happened is someone or thing rolled or took the egg out of the broodys nest.

Was the chick still alive? Did you seal the egg back?

What may have happened is someone or thing rolled or took the egg out of the broodys nest.
Oh, I didn’t think of that! I put it back together as best I could. I do believe that it was quite alive. Is there a way to put it back together safely?

Oh, I didn’t think of that! I put it back together as best I could. I do believe that it was quite alive. Is there a way to put it back together safely?
I just went out to the coop and took it out. It wasn’t alive after all. It was such a shock though. Thank you for your quick response!

Back
Top Bottom