Chick is sick, eye swollen, lethargic don't know what to do.

HearthRoots

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2022
Vermont
Symptoms:
1.) She keeps one of her eyes closed and it looks swollen and a little milky when we gently pry it open. It started being swollen today, was just closed yesterday.
2.) She doesn't eat or drink on her own.
3.) Lethargic, has always been kind of slower than the others since we gotten her from Meyer but the last two days she rarely moves.
4.) Sometimes she makes a clicking sound while breathing, but not all the time.
5.) she still makes stools luckily, no blood. Firm and relatively healthy- just small.
6.) Her lack of eating has been making her thin even with constant eyedropper feeds.

Other information:
>She's 6 days old and a penciled barred rock.
>She has had a Marek's vaccination.
>All other chicks in the brooder have been healthy, litter gets changed twice a day and water checked several times a day.
>Water in the brooder is 2 tsp of sugar, 1/8 tsp. of baking soda/salt per cup, and alternated with water mixed with a tsp of molasses and 1/2 tsp of vinegar per cup. Wean them off of it after the first week and stick to water with diluted Braggs vinegar.
>They're on a mixture of gamebird starter feed and regular non medicated chick feed to help with their initial growth and feathering.

Treatment:
I've been keeping her warm in her own brooder and feeding her a mixture of molasses/egg yolk and recently added some slurried fermented starter feed to the mixture every two hours (she fusses if it's every hour). Also have been giving her water with probiotic and a little bit of salt/molasses every hour. She went from being lifeless to being aware with occasional bouts of energy- but I can't seem to get her over whatever hump she's gotten herself into. We're about to grab some eyedrops and terramycin for her eye but I'm at my wit's end on how to help her. I hope someone can shed some light.

Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom