Chick it’s not able to itch

Ameliamia

Hatching
Jun 26, 2023
Hi my chick is shaking it’s head I believe he has an itch but isn’t able to itch this is a day old chick under the heat lamp why may be the problem he can’t itch?

I don’t think it’s just an itch. Sounds like he might have some sort of infection whether an ear one or respiratory or something.

Ah ok I’ll be wary of that only reason I assume it’s an itch because he tries to use his legs to itch but can’t balance on one foot is there any other signs for these other problems

Ah ok I’ll be wary of that only reason I assume it’s an itch because he tries to use his legs to itch but can’t balance on one foot is there any other signs for these other problems
It could be an itch but if he’s doing it a lot I’d be wary. Does he have any sneezing, bubbly or watery eyes, discharge from the eyes or nose? Anything like that? Eating and drinking okay? What bedding do you use? It could be as simple as a piece of shaving got in his nose or something. But I’d watch out.

There’s no sneezing, bubbly or watery eyes. No discharge eats well and drinks well and wood shavings nothing inside his nose he’s just quite irritated at the moment trying to get in my hand a lot

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Interestingly enough.. I got a (lavender) Silkie chick from Ideal hatchery that did that once.. there was NO illness and it never went away.. Unfortunately I had rehomed to a friend who wouldn't let me cull once it was obviously not relenting.. the poor guy.. his feathers were missing from the constant scratching and it was all red, calloused, and essentially permanently scarred.. kinda near the ear hole, like the "itch/annoyance" was right behind there on the side of the head.

Well, looking back.. I can't remember full maturity past his Stew Pidasso behavior (attacking all people but 1), if that itching ever relented or not as that's been many years.. but it was present during all the juvenile months.

Considerations I also made aside from others already mentioned.. ingrown or annoying feather tickling something. Maybe even something neurological, a fake or perceived itch. Nothing was ever found and the bird mentioned never had any other signs of health concerns, none. He was at least a few years old and always spry, and did not pass from "natural" causes. He found a temporary home in the barn cats belly after being humanely dispatched.

Worth mentioning.. chickens don't have gag reflex and so sometimes shaking the head can be a way of clearing the throat. I was thinking that wouldn't explain the leg itching.. but I have seen my hens use their legs/feet when trying to dislodge grass/etc from their beak/throat.

When you say day old chick.. did you hatch it, or where did it come from? Does it have friends?

Hope the chick continues to thrive and solves it's itch! :fl

Hi yes it could’ve been that the head shaking is all gone just only happened for a couple minutes it was either an itch or trying swallow properly since it’s only young unfortunately other eggs didn’t hatch so tomorrow we’re going to collect some other silkie chicks to give him a social life

Back
Top Bottom