Chick just hatched/assisted out of shell - injured leg and question

JenEphemerata

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2021
This morning a teacher at my school noticed a chick with legs kicking and stuck in its shell so she assisted him out; its leg now shows an injury and there is a bulge with black sticking out between its legs: is this a slightly out of line anus that I can easily clean, or do you think it is something that should be inside but is outside? I don't want to go rubbing it and gently pulling til I ask. Chick is still in incubator drying now. When I took him out he was starting to open his eyes, strong, laying on his side but moving, chirped, and drank water when guided to water in my hand. I am just another teacher with chicks currently & have experience raising chickens - trying to help but no experience with them this young.
20220429_104106.jpg
20220429_104424.jpg
20220429_104057.jpg

Attachments

• 20220429_104119.jpg
    20220429_104119.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The black bulge is the umbilicus and should be left alone - do not remove the black part. The vent is right under the tail and looks clear in the photos.

It looks to me like some of the yolk sac wasn't completely absorbed, which doesn't necessarily pose a problem. As long as it dries up and there's no infection, the residual bit will likely eventually fall off on its own. You could dab a little antibiotic ointment without pain reliever on the umbilical area or spray with a wound healing solution like Vetericyn to prevent infection, or just keep an eye on it to make sure it's healing.

It's difficult to tell what's going on with the leg situation - you should have a better idea when the chick is stronger and getting around. Is it an open wound, or just a red area on the (intact) skin? Could some blood from the assist have gotten on the chick's leg and dried on there?

Best of luck!

The black bulge is the umbilicus and should be left alone - do not remove the black part. The vent is right under the tail and looks clear in the photos.

It looks to me like some of the yolk sac wasn't completely absorbed, which doesn't necessarily pose a problem. As long as it dries up and there's no infection, the residual bit will likely eventually fall off on its own. You could dab a little antibiotic ointment without pain reliever on the umbilical area or spray with a wound healing solution like Vetericyn to prevent infection, or just keep an eye on it to make sure it's healing.

It's difficult to tell what's going on with the leg situation - you should have a better idea when the chick is stronger and getting around. Is it an open wound, or just a red area on the (intact) skin? Could some blood from the assist have gotten on the chick's leg and dried on there?

Best of luck!
It is just a reddening on the surface, probably abrasion from the shell? Thank you for your guidance! This is good news and has been shared with the teacher:>

Back
Top Bottom