Chick just hatched with a lot of problems- HELP!

perfectly_polish

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
CT
I just had a BLRW chick hatch, it has an air bubble type thing on it's shoulder, and I looked inside the egg it hatched from and there was still yolk in it, there was also green stuff in the egg and on the chick. The chick is all sticky, almost like super glue. I had to help it a little in the egg because it was so stuck. It was also bleeding a little bit, from where they absord the yolk and it's belly is almost see through. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal. What do I do
barnie.gif

I just had a sultan hatch out like that too, with the air bubble thing on its shoulder and see through belly. I also noticed when they were hatching there was a lot of bubbly liquid. Is my humidity too high, too low?

Last edited:
I don't know, I've never had this happen.... only hatched once so far. Maybe the "air pocket" is the crop??? Maybe it didn't develope right?? or something... I dunno. I hope your little chicks are ok... hopefully someone with experience in this can offer some advice.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's day 20, almost day 21, so it's not that early.

Guitartists :

I don't know, I've never had this happen.... only hatched once so far. Maybe the "air pocket" is the crop??? Maybe it didn't develope right?? or something... I dunno. I hope your little chicks are ok... hopefully someone with experience in this can offer some advice.

That's what I'm thinking, that is may be just the crop. I had 6 hatch normally, then these 2, and I have one zipping now and about 20 pips, so I guess I'll have to wait and see how they are in the morning. I'll keep you updated!​

Last edited:
It sounds like your temp is too high and your humidity too low. Of course, when temps are too high the humidity needs to be higher as well. If the chicks are hatching with yolk that is unabsorbed and bleeding from the navel you need to drop the temp by about a degree or so. Get another thermometer to compare with the one you are using now.

Richard

same thing happened to me because I couldn't get the humidity up higher no matter what I did in my Little Giant. I had one hatch with a crop full of bubbles because I suppose it swallowed a lot of white? It resolved itself within 2 days. Yeah, about half of mine were covered with the really gooey stuff that turned into really hard stuff and they didn't fluff up like they should. Do what ever you can to get the humidy up as high as you possibly can. I had about 20 die right before they hatched because they couldn't pip because they were so dry.
th.gif
I had opened both of the vents per the instructions, but then the humidy fell to about 35% and WOULD NOT come back up no matter how much water, towels and sponges I added. I tried to not open the darn thing too much but the humidity would not go up so I kept sticking more wet stuff in there, but it never went up.
barnie.gif
Then when the hatch was over and I took out all the towels and extra water and sponge, (there were still eggs in it because I'm doing a staggered hatch) then the humidity immediately went up to 56%. I was so peeved:he next time I will try just not opening the vents. will they really suffocate?

So sorry this is happening to you, I sure hope they all come out ok.

fowlwoman1

I hatched in a LG still air and a forced air, I was told that you don't take those vent plugs out and when I need to add water to the hatch I just take out one vent plug and add water with a straw and a syringe then put the vent back in. There is a post I started on hatching in a LG. You could search for it. I think it was "Anyone hatching in a LG " . Hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom