chick leg issue !!! What should I do ???

swtangel321

~Crazy Egg Lady~
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
I hatched out some silkie chicks yesterday and the day before, I just notice that one of the chicks doesnt use one of its legs !!! is that spraled (sp) leg ?? he just kind of holds it up and out to the side !!!! he eats, drinks, and seems to get around ok !!!! Is there anything I can do to fix it or do I just leave it alone ?? also what is it caused from ??? Yes they are on shavings ive never had a problem before, he might of been the one the piped the wrong end and I had to help him out !!! please help and let me know what I should do !! Thanks !!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I was looking at those pics and it doesnt look like that !!! The chick can stand on 1 foot it just holds the other leg up and a little out, or its leg just doesnt work right.... I dont know if its somthing the chick is doing to keep it like that or if its it leg, hmmmm.... i dunno, just dont want to leave it like that and then have to cull it.... I didnt notice intill today so it might of been something that happend, I dont know what could possibly happen in a box of shaving !!!!! just odd, when i touch it or try to pull the leg out straight it chirps a little. Thanks again !!!!

Hmm, not sure what to tell ya lol. If it were me I would probably try to get it down and brace it and see if it helps. It could be a vitamin deficency too. If you want to try it they suggest Poly-Vi-Sol infant vitamins the ones with no iron and give a drop or two a day.

we have a roo that we hatched and his leg is totally crooked. it doesnt touch the ground. we felt bad for him and thought about culling him. but he is about 6 mnths now and he lives outside away from the other chickens on account that he is rather mean. he has his own doghouse next to the pen so that he can talk to his best friend Cupid (a black silkie pullet we hatched at the same time as him. so they grew up together) he hops around fine and even attacks us. hes not as fast but he gets around. He is a beautiful bird and SOMETIMES sweet. Its totally up to you whether to cull it or not. but my dear Sammi turned out fine.
smile.png
good luck with your decision.

Quote:
that is a good idea.
we should have done that so Sammi when he was little. we considered taping a popsicle stick to his leg from his hip down. Not sure if that would help. But its most definatly worth a try.

I've had two chicks with that type of issue - where the leg is up and you can't get it to go straight without using so much force you are afraid you will break the leg.

In both cases, by the time the chick got to be 5-6 weeks old, it was unable to hop anymore and was left to scoot around on it's breastbone. I ended up euthanizing them both when it became apparent they wouldn't be able to get themselves around as they continued to grow.

I've also had chicks with spraddle/straddle/splay leg and THOSE I was able to help with the braces, but with splay leg, the leg was limber and I could easily put it into the right position for taping/bracing.

I would still follow the instructions for taping a spraddle leg, even if it doesn't look exactly like the pics. Even if it isn't spraddle, if you are able to get is somewhat straight and tape it to the other leg, it should straighten out in a few days. You may have to retape it several times and you have to do it early, don't wait. Once the ligaments, etc. start to harden you won't be able to tape it effectively. Good luck!

Leah

Back
Top Bottom