Chick leg issue

ozarkmamabear

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2022
We have a 6 week old welsummer cockerel that has a bum leg. It doesn't seem to bother it much. It still gets up on a 12" roost just fine, eats and drinks normal, walks as much as the others, and isn't bullied. It just looks terrible when he walks, bending out to the side.. I'm not sure what it's called or how to keep it bending straight so it can heal properly. It's my 4 year old daughters bantam rooster so I really don't want to end up culling him. Any suggestions on what it is or how I can help it heal. We don't have a vet that will help a chick near us, pretty far out in the woods here. Thanks.
PXL_20230527_185356566.jpg
PXL_20230527_185406575.jpg
PXL_20230527_185255124.jpg
PXL_20230527_184059424.jpg

We have a 6 week old welsummer cockerel that has a bum leg. It doesn't seem to bother it much. It still gets up on a 12" roost just fine, eats and drinks normal, walks as much as the others, and isn't bullied. It just looks terrible when he walks, bending out to the side.. I'm not sure what it's called or how to keep it bending straight so it can heal properly. It's my 4 year old daughters bantam rooster so I really don't want to end up culling him. Any suggestions on what it is or how I can help it heal. We don't have a vet that will help a chick near us, pretty far out in the woods here. Thanks.View attachment 3525852View attachment 3525865View attachment 3525882View attachment 3525888
If you try to bend it the proper way how does the chick react

If you try to bend it the proper way how does the chick react
He acts just fine, doesn't show pain or resistance to me trying to move it... It's just all loosey goosey and bends to the outside when he walks. I have checked several times for breaks or dislocations with none felt, also seems like the tendon is in proper placement.

He acts just fine, doesn't show pain or resistance to me trying to move it... It's just all loosey goosey and bends to the outside when he walks. I have checked several times for breaks or dislocations with none felt, also seems like the tendon is in proper placement.
Maybe you could try tapping it up for a bit like a mini cast

Is this a new condition or was it's legs always "off"?
Not saying it's "splay", you may want to try the taping of legs for splay condition. You may also want to give some vitamin (Rooster Booster Poultry Cell). If it were smaller/younger I'd also try putting in a cup and let it exercise its legs to strengthen the muscles.

You got yourself a pair of CUTIES :love

Is this a new condition or was it's legs always "off"?
Not saying it's "splay", you may want to try the taping of legs for splay condition. You may also want to give some vitamin (Rooster Booster Poultry Cell). If it were smaller/younger I'd also try putting in a cup and let it exercise its legs to strengthen the muscles.

You got yourself a pair of CUTIES :love
It was new when it happened. It's been over a month now, no vet will see him around here and I can't find the right info online to help (been looking regularly since I noticed it), and I know the wrong aide can be worse than the initial issue so I'm hesitant to try without being confident. I don't think it was ever broke, he was fine for a while when we first got the lot... I have no idea what happened or when exactly bc he never did act injured or catch my attention for concern until I saw him walking like that. I just don't know how to keep his leg bending at the hip and hick so he can walk but keeping them straight without being able to bend out to the side. He still doesn't seem phased by it, I thought maybe the tendon thing at first but I can feel the tendon in the proper placement and it doesn't roll out when I bend it. I'm pretty up to par with my veterinary experience and knowledge but this has me stumped! He's not getting better and I don't want it to get worse as he gets heavier... There just isn't much out there for chicken care.

The longer you wait, the harder/longer it will take to correct IF correctable. It's been a month, he's adjusted and hopefully won't get progressively worst. I strongly recommend vitamins, it won't hurt. You may want to check out these links, may be helpful ...

https://poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php
https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/
I looked at the hocks from the back last night and noticed the bad one is much bigger so I think he broke it when younger and it healed wrong 😔 I didn't notice him early enough to feel the break with having 15 chicks together. Definitely not spraddle leg.

Thanks for the symptom website, I've not heard of it and it's a neat service for someone like me.

Back
Top Bottom