Chick leg troubles, need help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by HamsterGirl, Dec 17, 2016.

1. HamsterGirl

HamsterGirl New Egg

Dec 17, 2016
    Hey everyone,
    I just hatched my first batch of Coturnix Quail
    I have 11, two day old chicks one the last one hatched with some straddle leg troubles. I followed some guides online and now it appears he has control over his legs, but one seems dislocated, possibly at the hip or knee (Im not sure of the proper terms).

Its pointed out and up from his body and has been swelling, I think the strain of tried to carry weight on it while trying to work on the straddle leg stuff aggravated it.

Right now I have him out of his leg brace, he has good energy and has not problem hobbling over to food and water so I'm giving him some space. Also the oposite leg is fine, he's got it under him ad has good control.

I don't want to hurt him more but he's growing so fast if it can be treated I want to try it asap. Is this something I can treat, do I let him try and figure it out and it will subside on its own?

Thanks for your time!
  2. abot87

abot87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there.

Sounds like you have tried the best known remedy for splay leg.

BUT, do take note that splay leg is very often confused with "club foot" which is an entirely different, yet very similarly looking deformity.

Splay leg is most often a temporary situation, which can be remedied with a leg brace of sorts. Club foot is however not temporary and is classified as a deformity. Depending on the severity of the leg, the chick could lead a "normal" life.

Can you upload a picture of the affected leg? That should give us some clarity on your situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by