1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick looking up when standing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CricketFarm, Apr 21, 2017.

1. CricketFarm

CricketFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2016
    Canada
    Hi all
    Just hatched a batch and the last one egg took two days to hatch, an shes able to squat stand but she starts looking up and up an then falls on her back and cant get up. I think maybe its wry neck but I've read chicken develop it when they are older. Can they be born with it? I got selenium and vit 8 and pedyalyte but i live on an island so specialty things are hard to get. How much of each dose and how often do i give? Its a small newborn chick. The selenium and vit e came in various doses, which one is right? Do i need to make a neck brace?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No neck brace. Nick a Vit E capsule open and see if you can wipe a bit onto the side of her beak. Scrape a few grains of powder off the selenium. If you consider that those pills are designed to dose a 100+# person, you realize how small a dose it takes for a tiny little chick. I am not qualified to give treatment advice, just telling you what I did. I treated the chick 2 - 3 x/day, and hand fed him every couple of hours for the first 2 days. Decreased frequency of dosing to 2 x/day for a couple of days, then 1 x /day for the rest of that week, then every few days. He made remarkable recovery, but had long term systemic damage that showed up later.

3. CricketFarm

CricketFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2016
    Canada
    Hi
    So Stella is doing well, i just used the vitamin e and gave some twice a day for 3 days she stopped looking up and eats and everything now, she is much smaller than her littermates, will that ever change? It seems shes hardly growing!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    She may be a failure to thrive bird. She may be the weakest link in your flock, and the most likely bird to become ill, parasite afflicted, and possibly a vector for disease. You will need to keep an eye on her, and see how she progresses. If you're not using Fermented Feed, IMO, that is the best option you have for helping her to loose lost ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by