Chick Missing Feathers on Back of Neck & Area Seems Inflamed

RussellRoosters

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
Hi, everyone.

I have a Welsummer chick that's about 4 weeks old. Yesterday I noticed he/she was missing some feathers on its neck. Upon closer inspection I realized it looks as though there's some bruising. I have no idea what is wrong. I don't think the other chicks are picking on it, but I'm not 100% sure. There doesn't seem to be any bleeding, but it does look a bit inflamed. He/She acts fairly normal though and doesn't seem to act as though there is anything wrong.

I've been feeding the chicks fermented non-medicated chick feed. Their bedding is pine shavings and they are currently in a metal water trough. I haven't noticed any odd feces, so I don't think there is anything wrong there. I plan on getting some blukote, but I'm not sure what I should do next. Should I isolate the chick from the others?

I have no idea what is wrong with the poor thing, so any help would be greatly appreciated!! I've tried finding a cause on my own, but no luck so far.

I will post pictures ASAP!

**Here are the pictures I took a couple of days ago:

Last edited:
This is most likely due to pecking or feather picking. The best solution is probably to get them outdoors on the ground an in a larger space. Unless it is very cold where you are, they may be ready to go in their coop now. At least, they should be ready to be there during the day. If they are still under a heat lamp I would remove it and begin acclimating them to the outdoors. Unless you see blood, you shouldn't have to separate the chick.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, Judy! I hope to get them outside this weekend. It's a relief to know we don't have a major health issue on our hands :).

Back
Top Bottom