Chick muscle or organs exposed

ChknLadyBawk

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2023
So I came home from vacation to find my hen was laying on eggs close to three weeks ago. I had reason to assume that she started lying on them that day, since our neighbor was collecting the eggs when feeding chickens. I was gone most of today, which is the 19th incubation day, and came back home to find a chick had fallen from the nest onto the floor. At first I thought he had just hatched prematurely, but when I went to move them for their safety I discovered that either some muscle mass or internal organs were showing on the left side. I put some Neosporin on it (without the pain relief) and a band aid, because the chick can't just go around with that exposed. So now I'm left wondering what I should do. Last time we had a line chick, it died, but if I leave it with the mama, she might peck at the band aid. Is there something else I should use on his wound? Should I leave him with the mama? Because currently she's taking good care of him. I'm just not going to be around most of the day to monitor them.

Nevermind guys, it died during the day. But another chick hatched out, so now I know that it must not have been premature birth.

Back
Top Bottom