Chick not drinking / is mother hen ok?

kirschev

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2023
Finally a chick! I hatched a single and put straight under broody. Broody seems to have accepted, it is her first time. Chick hatched yest morning. Broody is making all the right sounds and is keeping chick warm. Seems to be showing her how to eat. Clucking gently. Broody and chick have not left coop where I have set them up with food and water. Is this normal?

Chick won’t drink water either. I know she doesn’t need for three days post hatch. But I’m worried, as broody won’t drink either (at least I haven’t seen her) - water drinker is positioned right next to her so she can reach it.

I took her and chick out just now onto floor of the pen - broody did an enormous poo and had a stretch. And went back in. Chick was still not in coop so I put chick back under her. Am I rushing things? I’m concerned broody is still broody - have taken all eggs away. Shouldn’t she be walking around with chick teaching her how to drink? Should I pippet feed some water if still not drinking as far as I am aware tomorrow? Chick is eating crumbs ok which I’ve mixed with some water so is pasty

If you're concerned, dip the chick's beak in the water a couple times to give it the idea.

So, am I understanding only this one chick hatched? You've removed all the unhatched eggs? How many did not hatch? Did you break them open to do a postmortem to find out why they didn't hatch? No development indicates they weren't fertile. Partially developed embryos indicate an avian virus. That would have serious implications for your flock.

Hello, thank you! Have tried the beak dip but no luck. Doesn’t seem to be getting the hang! The eggs I removed were from a different clutch, they have gone into the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom