Chick not growing....

Fancie

Songster
11 Years
Oct 31, 2008
Illinois
chicks.jpg

These two chicks are both 3 weeks old, but the smallest dosen't seem to be growing... I have expeted to see him dead in the brooder the first few days... but he is still hanging in there. He gets run over and walked on by the other chicks, and he really dosen't seem to be moving around much. He just dosen't seem to be thriving...

Whats the chances that this runt is going to make it...

Last edited by a moderator:
yes-- but only after we separated her from the rest...
"princess" out Buff Turken was like that... we gave her a box of her own, food & water with suppliments and pampered her... she later got a room mate (a Showgirl chick that to this day is terrified of everything) and took to mothering it... she is now HUGE and holds her own with the rest of the flock... and still "looks out" for her friend!

I had one like that and he came with 25 other chicks from McMurrays. I only had these chicks for 3 months but, during that time, I watched him diligently and never saw him get picked on or stepped on. He wasn't much bigger than a walnut but he acted like all the others. Don't know how he is now. That was 2 autumns ago.

I had one like that, too. Always stayed smaller than the females of his breed, but he was the only roo of the breed I had, so nothing to compare to. Seemed healthy; did not suffer bad treatment by the others. Had a pitiful, squeaky crow. I never isolated him. Taken by a predator.

I have no actually facts on this, just repeating what I have been told...
We had 1 bird like that...One was a cochin...I was told it was called a slow growth gene. And that they usually end up being roosters....
Ours was doing great and then one day one of the geese thought he was food and snatched him up in it's beak and killed it...(I was getting rid of that goose anyway, this just helped speed up the process)...My mom also has one like that....It's just a mutt bird...it is definately a rooster...and he's 2 years old now...Still smaller than the others, but other than that is fine...no other babies of hers has ever had it yet to the best of my knowledge....

I finally put all the birds out side. I think they are 6 weeks old. He didn't make it threw the night
hit.gif

Oh no! I'm sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
It sounds like you did all you could, and he did live a long time considering his inability to thrive.

Back
Top Bottom