Chick not hatching, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nyseman, May 1, 2009.

1. nyseman

nyseman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Garber
    Hi, I'm new to hatching eggs. The hatch date was Wednesday the 29th. I had 9 hatch out of 16 hatch. There were two sets of 8 from different breeders. One group all 8 hatched, Only two so far out of the other group and it was a struggle. One died. Anyway Thursday afternoon one egg started to peep and broke though. It still hasnt hatched and it's 4pm Friday. He peeps and sometimes is very loud. But as the time goes by, it isnt as loud. I'll go over and shine a light on his shell and he starts to quietly peep and slowly rock. Should I help him, or is it to late?

2. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    what day is it on?
    when i get like that i will usually take tweezers and a warm cup of water and q tip and help little by little. if i see blood i stop and put the egg back. but that is just me. i have no patience and i have killed some by having no patience. and i saved some as well. but also i helped one or two out that were very deformed and ended up having to cull. if you help the chick out do it at your own risk. not by what i would do. i dont always make the right choices

3. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:It's hard to say... if it is able to breathe well, then usually the advice given is to wait a bit. On the other hand, if your humidity was too low, then it might be stuck in the shell unable to come out. Removing eggs from the incubator also can effect humidity levels on any remaining eggs possibly endangering them. So you have to weigh your risks out. If it is still absorbing the yolk and just isn't yet strong enough to get out, then helping it out will only hurt it. It needs to absorb the yolk. It's a hard choice. I'm new to all of this. I don't think I could not help after a certain amount of time goes past. I think 24 hours would be as long as I could wait... but if I killed one, it would probably change my mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by