Chick not quite right

RoosterThigh

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Indiana
I have a 3 week old Appenzeller that was doing great her 1st week. I haven't heard any respiratory issues but I started giving her vetrx a week ago. She mostly stands around a bit ruffled looking and she chirps a quiet chirp almost all of the time. She eats some and drinks some. But her mate is now twice the weight. Her poo looks fine to me. Her eyelids are normally half mast or closed. She stays under the chick hot plate most of the time. I started them on Corid this week at the suggestion of mypetchicken where I got them and that doesn't seem to be helping. I never seen blood in stools or anything. She will run and get a mealworm and eat it. She also staggers a little at times. She doesn't get better or worse. Just stays the same.

Last edited:
Can you post some photos of her and her poop?
A video of her actions may be helpful - upload to youtube and provide a link.

Hard to know what's happening with her if she's eating/drinking ok.
If you are treating with Corid, make sure you are giving the correct dose of 2tsp liquid Corid or 1 1/2 powdered Corid per gallon of water, given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't add or give any extra vitamins or supplements that contain B1 (Thiamine) during the course of treatment.
There are 9 strains of Coccidiosis and only 2 of them present with blood in the poop, so it's possible Coccidiosis is the issue.

I would however go ahead and give her some Vitamin E (400IU) daily. Once she's done with the Corid, then add 1/4 tablet B-Complex as well.

Hopefully she will improve and start thriving.

Can you post some photos of her and her poop?
A video of her actions may be helpful - upload to youtube and provide a link.

Hard to know what's happening with her if she's eating/drinking ok.
If you are treating with Corid, make sure you are giving the correct dose of 2tsp liquid Corid or 1 1/2 powdered Corid per gallon of water, given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't add or give any extra vitamins or supplements that contain B1 (Thiamine) during the course of treatment.
There are 9 strains of Coccidiosis and only 2 of them present with blood in the poop, so it's possible Coccidiosis is the issue.

I would however go ahead and give her some Vitamin E (400IU) daily. Once she's done with the Corid, then add 1/4 tablet B-Complex as well.

Hopefully she will improve and start thriving.
Thank you Wyorp. I am giving 1/2 tsp liquid Corid to a quart. Just to clarify, I should start the vitamins once she is done with the Corid, right? How would I go about getting her to take the vitamins? I do have Wheat Germ oil that is full of Vitamin E.

I will try to get some photos of her.

Thanks Again!

Last edited:
0516221021.jpg
0516221126a.jpg
0516221126b.jpg
0516221130.jpg

I'm not getting any feedback from anyone now. Could someone give me any ideas of anything else I could do or should I try to take her to a vet?

Thank you Wyorp. I am giving 1/2 tsp liquid Corid to a quart. Just to clarify, I should start the vitamins once she is done with the Corid, right? How would I go about getting her to take the vitamins? I do have Wheat Germ oil that is full of Vitamin E.

I will try to get some photos of her.

Thanks Again!
I'm not getting any feedback from anyone now. Could someone give me any ideas of anything else I could do or should I try to take her to a vet?
Sorry, I just now got on, been busy with my own stuff....you know how it is right?:)

I would get the vitamin E into her now, if you have oil, you can mix a little in her feed.
For the B-Complex, once she's off the Corid, just crush it up and mix with feed or you can dissolve it in a little water and syringe it into her.

Not sure what's going on with her, have you checked to make sure her crop is emptying overnight? Poop

Sorry, I just now got on, been busy with my own stuff....you know how it is right?:)

I would get the vitamin E into her now, if you have oil, you can mix a little in her feed.
For the B-Complex, once she's off the Corid, just crush it up and mix with feed or you can dissolve it in a little water and syringe it into her.

Not sure what's going on with her, have you checked to make sure her crop is emptying overnight? Poop
I do understand lol. I'm really hoping to pull her through so I have a mating pair. I have not checked about her crop emptying. Do I check that in the morning? Her crop seems like it is always full during the day anyway. She was 2.4 ounces yesterday and 2.5 today. I think the other Appenzeller is maybe the rooster and he is at 4.9 ounces. I realize he should be somewhat larger but that's quite a lot bigger. I will start her on the oil now.

Thanks.

I put their food up last night but someone put it back in for me this morning:rolleyes:. But I think it may be her crop. Hers is much fuller and harder than the other 2. I was massaging it last night. And the other 2, theirs were a lot more empty this morning while hers is crammed full. It does feel doughy as I could massage it.

What can I do to get it going? I just read a post about ginger powder, cinnamon, cayenne and lemon juice. Also read about olive oil and some other oils. What would be the best route to go and I am assuming I need to get the food away from her and that is probabaly going to mean separating her from the others. She isn't going to like that at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom