Chick not quite right

keep checking the crop, make sure that it is emptying, if you pick up the food at night, check the crop before you put it back down in the morning (sorry if you already knew that, I'm just covering bases). Is it still full but feels liquidy? We want it to empty as well as not feel like a doughy lump.
I'm sorry that there isn't a lot of feedback here for you right now, I'll try to check back tomorrow if I can (busy planting season you know! lol)
Even if no one answers, update anyway, someone will see it.

I put their food up last night but someone put it back in for me this morning:rolleyes:. But I think it may be her crop. Hers is much fuller and harder than the other 2. I was massaging it last night. And the other 2, theirs were a lot more empty this morning while hers is crammed full. It does feel doughy as I could massage it.

What can I do to get it going? I just read a post about ginger powder, cinnamon, cayenne and lemon juice. Also read about olive oil and some other oils. What would be the best route to go and I am assuming I need to get the food away from her and that is probabaly going to mean separating her from the others. She isn't going to like that at all.
The lemon mix is fine if it's working.
I would not withhold food or water, let her eat during the day.
Re-check each morning.

Do provide chick grit free choice if you aren't doing that. Chicks will sometimes eat bedding causing an impaction, which could lead to sour crop. If giving oil, then give hardened coconut oil, mine love it and much less risk of aspiration if they eat it on their own. Oil aspiration is deadly, so I avoid syringing oils into birds if possible.

The lemon mix may help with sour crop as well, but if you detect a bad odor, then I'd go with yeast or fungal cream. This is the methods I use. Normally it's with older laying hens, but I have had to treat a chick with these methods as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

keep checking the crop, make sure that it is emptying, if you pick up the food at night, check the crop before you put it back down in the morning (sorry if you already knew that, I'm just covering bases). Is it still full but feels liquidy? We want it to empty as well as not feel like a doughy lump.
I'm sorry that there isn't a lot of feedback here for you right now, I'll try to check back tomorrow if I can (busy planting season you know! lol)
Even if no one answers, update anyway, someone will see it.
I think it emptied out earlier. I may have felt a bit of something, but it was mostly flat. I put her back in with the rest and she was definitely better than I have seen her in a couple of weeks. She did stretch her neck a few times and opened her mouth, but she didn't seem to be in any distress about it. That has been the only time I've seen her do that any. Then she didn't do it anymore so I'm hoping that she was getting that last bit that I felt down. Then she was preening, eating and running around and she hasn't been doing that. She is still chirping quite a lot. I'm praying it's empty in the morning and she keeps getting better.

If she has a full crop again, what should I do next besides repeat the spice mixture?

Thank you for the reply!

The lemon mix is fine if it's working.
I would not withhold food or water, let her eat during the day.
Re-check each morning.

Do provide chick grit free choice if you aren't doing that. Chicks will sometimes eat bedding causing an impaction, which could lead to sour crop. If giving oil, then give hardened coconut oil, mine love it and much less risk of aspiration if they eat it on their own. Oil aspiration is deadly, so I avoid syringing oils into birds if possible.

The lemon mix may help with sour crop as well, but if you detect a bad odor, then I'd go with yeast or fungal cream. This is the methods I use. Normally it's with older laying hens, but I have had to treat a chick with these methods as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I do give them grit. I also mixed about 1/2 to 1 tsp of the wheat germ oil in their feed and also stirred in some Rooster Booster.

Thank You.

Good news! Her crop was empty this morning. She is still constantly chirping and her eyes still are half closed. I just seen her stretch her neck once and open her mouth. Maybe this is because she was impacted for so long before I got a clue :( . But she is more active.

Good news! Her crop was empty this morning. She is still constantly chirping and her eyes still are half closed. I just seen her stretch her neck once and open her mouth. Maybe this is because she was impacted for so long before I got a clue :( . But she is more active.
Stretching their necks and opening their beaks is normal, they are adjust the crop's position as it empties and fills, it's totally normal.
I'm so happy her crop emptied! Good job! Give her some time to feel better

Back
Top Bottom