Chick not sitting up

I have come up with another effective method for helping this chick. Maybe it can help someone! It does seem to be improving slowly. But I am thinking it will take a miracle for it to ever be normal. This little chick has held itself upright for short amounts of time today!
If you make a pile of bedding and make a ‘well’ or hole in the middle of the pile then lay a rag over the pile making sure the hole stays. Set the little chick in the hole. It is safe, cozy and not as hard as a cup. It is hard to see the little ‘nest’ in this picture but the sides are high enough that the chick has to stand a little higher than would be normal for it to get over the top. I have a little cage set over the top of it so it doesn’t get trampled by the other chicks.

Attachments

• CD2E165F-A8D9-48F6-B777-833B395EAAB2.jpeg
    CD2E165F-A8D9-48F6-B777-833B395EAAB2.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 5
Have you given the chick vitamins yet? Vitamin B2 riboflavin in good for leg health. Besides trying to strengthen the legs, make sure the feet and toes are straight, or little shoes out of tape can be made. Here is a good link for chick chairs and slings, and in the last post on page 4 shows a nest similar to the one you designed:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I have made the shoes for her feet. But there is no movement in the feet whatsoever. Her feet were the color of cooked egg yolk when she came out of the egg. Almost like there was no blood flow to them. When she tries to use her legs the feet don’t work at all. She will lean back to balance and her feet stick straight up in the air.

Back
Top Bottom