Chick Not Thriving, What to Do?

I'm so sorry you lost your faverolles too. Since they have passed I have read so much about the salmon favorelles really not doing well in transport. I am in love with the breed they are so sweet and beautiful but knowing now that they don't survive transport well I don't think I will ever order them to be shipped again!
that’s so terrible. they really are beautiful chickens, i don’t think we will either!

I got an order of chicks in the mail last week (Wednesday). A mix of White plymouth rocks, blue ameraucana, and salmon favorelles.

Thursday night two of the salmon favorelles died pretty suddenly, no signs of illness I am pretty sure it was just shipping stress. I have three more salmon favorelles left, two are thriving and growing one is not. She is much small than the others, just wants to be under the brooder plate and snuggled up to another chick constantly. She distress cries constantly if there's not someone snuggling her but the others are just busy exploring the brooder and being happy chicks. I keep waiting to wake up and find her dead but so far she's holding on. I'm looking for any ideas on what else to do for her, i feel like separating her would just cause her more distress? Her poops are totally normal, but she is obviously weaker than the others.

What I have done so far:
-Given her drops of nutridrench water
-fed her crumbled boiled egg yolk, medicated feed mixed with warm yogurt (she eats well when I remove her from the brooder and feed her from my hand but obviously that's not sustainable)
-shooed her from under the brooder plate to show her the feeder, simulated pecking the food with my finger which helps and she will eat then.

Any tips? Should I isolate her in her own brooder?

Thanks!
No, don’t isolate her she will be so sad and stressed.

Thanks, she's not eating or drinking unless I pick her up and place her in front of the food and water. She's just kind of flopping over to the side and won't stand on her own. The other two that died had the same issue, I'm wondering if it was something with the hatch, same breed all with the same symptoms.

Her crop is emptying, healthy poops too. Just won't stand. I think I'm going to lose her ☹️
That’s really sad. I ordered a salmon favorelle once and it also died on the first day.

I guess I should say to crop feed via syringe. I knew what vision I had in my mind. I have the syringe like in this video, the food goes straight into the crop so the chick has been fed. We don't try and feed the chicken to get it to eat, which is what people are doing I think when using syringe at the chicks beak. Open up please, swallow please.
Crop feeding is fast and easy and the chick gets the nutrients ASAP.

Wow. That looks pretty intense. I think you said you hadn't actually tried this on a baby chick? I can't help but think that it might be more difficult with something as fragile as a baby chick. That parakeet looks like a pretty hardy creature comparatively. I'd like to hear from someone who's actually done this to confirm that it's a good idea. I guess if you're looking at a chick who's clearly on its way out, it's worth a try. (?)

Back
Top Bottom