chick not thriving

Hi Chickassan,Yes I've given her yolk mixed with chick starter,But dawg53 instructed me to just give her feed. I have had some luck mixing corid/water with it and she ate some. I think she misses the egg in it.:rolleyes: Spoiled I guess. She's drinking good so that will get the corid into her. Pooping a lot of yellow and clear liquid,hope that means it's working:fl. Thanks!

Sadly the little hen passed just moments ago.:( She tried so hard. I was hoping she'd beat this. Should I dose the rest of my flock with corid?

Sadly the little hen passed just moments ago.:( She tried so hard. I was hoping she'd beat this. Should I dose the rest of my flock with corid?
You said you saw worms in her droppings. Did you by any chance get a picture of them?
I think if this little pullet had coccidiosis and a worm load, it was just too much for her to overcome. I'm sorry that you lost her.
I would certainly do a preventive course of Corid for the rest of your flock. The dose is 1 tsp of Corid to a gallon of water for 7 days. Change the water daily and ensure this is the only water they have available to drink.
After that is over, I would collect a combined fecal sample and submit it for a fecal float to your vet. If they find a lot of worm eggs, you can deworm with an appropriate dewormer.
After you are finished with the preventive Corid dosing, I would offer the flock some probiotics or a little buttermilk in a wet chicken mash to help their guts heal.
What exactly are you feeding your flock?

You said you saw worms in her droppings. Did you by any chance get a picture of them?
I think if this little pullet had coccidiosis and a worm load, it was just too much for her to overcome. I'm sorry that you lost her.
I would certainly do a preventive course of Corid for the rest of your flock. The dose is 1 tsp of Corid to a gallon of water for 7 days. Change the water daily and ensure this is the only water they have available to drink.
After that is over, I would collect a combined fecal sample and submit it for a fecal float to your vet. If they find a lot of worm eggs, you can deworm with an appropriate dewormer.
After you are finished with the preventive Corid dosing, I would offer the flock some probiotics or a little buttermilk in a wet chicken mash to help their guts heal.
What exactly are you feeding your flock?
Hi DobieLover,The worms were large roundworms and I gave everyone wazine 17.After that I started her on the corid.All my other chickens are older or have been hatched here under hens.They all seem fine.The chick that passed and her sibling came from my stepson.They had slipped tendons and crocked toes so they could not keep up with the mother hen.They also hatched late and had really short down.My stepson lives next door and our chickens mingle all the time so I gave his wazine too. Thanks

Hi DobieLover,The worms were large roundworms and I gave everyone wazine 17.After that I started her on the corid.All my other chickens are older or have been hatched here under hens.They all seem fine.The chick that passed and her sibling came from my stepson.They had slipped tendons and crocked toes so they could not keep up with the mother hen.They also hatched late and had really short down.My stepson lives next door and our chickens mingle all the time so I gave his wazine too. Thanks
When are they due for their repeat deworming?

When are they due for their repeat deworming?
The bottle says 30 days so the 26th. Got it marked on the calendar so I don't miss it. I can't give all of his corid,some don't go in all the time and he won't keep them locked up. My problem is if I dose mine with corid will it make them more apt to get cocci if our chickens mingle? My oldest is somewhere around 13 or 14,the youngest is 4 months.But all of my young ones were raised with mamma hens and have been with the older chickens since hatch. I just don't want to mess up! DH says to leave them alone except for the wazine. From what I have read the others should be fine. I just wanted some more opinions on it. What do you think? Thanks

The bottle says 30 days so the 26th. Got it marked on the calendar so I don't miss it. I can't give all of his corid,some don't go in all the time and he won't keep them locked up. My problem is if I dose mine with corid will it make them more apt to get cocci if our chickens mingle? My oldest is somewhere around 13 or 14,the youngest is 4 months.But all of my young ones were raised with mamma hens and have been with the older chickens since hatch. I just don't want to mess up! DH says to leave them alone except for the wazine. From what I have read the others should be fine. I just wanted some more opinions on it. What do you think? Thanks
The typical repeat dewormer of piperazine (Wazine) is 10-14 days. I have no idea why the bottle states 30. It takes 10-14 days for the roundworm eggs from the initial infestation to hatch into worms that can be killed by the piperazine. I would deworm at 10-14 days.

Coccidia oocysts are in all backyard chicken guts. It's when you get an overload of them that coccidiosis occurs. The intermingling of the two flocks will have them all exposed to the same strains so they should have built up resistance.

So I guess I am going to agree with DH and suggest you just repeat the piperazine deworming but do it at 10-14 days instead of 30.

Watch your flock for birds that are lethargic and puffed up. Those are the early signs of coccidiosis. If you see that, treat the entire flock with Corid immediately. You would have to confine the birds during treatment as the only source of drinking water has to be the Corid water.

The typical repeat dewormer of piperazine (Wazine) is 10-14 days. I have no idea why the bottle states 30. It takes 10-14 days for the roundworm eggs from the initial infestation to hatch into worms that can be killed by the piperazine. I would deworm at 10-14 days.

Coccidia oocysts are in all backyard chicken guts. It's when you get an overload of them that coccidiosis occurs. The intermingling of the two flocks will have them all exposed to the same strains so they should have built up resistance.

So I guess I am going to agree with DH and suggest you just repeat the piperazine deworming but do it at 10-14 days instead of 30.

Watch your flock for birds that are lethargic and puffed up. Those are the early signs of coccidiosis. If you see that, treat the entire flock with Corid immediately. You would have to confine the birds during treatment as the only source of drinking water has to be the Corid water.
Cool! Thanks 10 to 14 days it is. I did a good clean on the coop to,checked for mites,looked at poop:rolleyes: watched them all and all seems good.
Poor Mercury has been calling the other chick all day!She was in the garage in a cage next to the other chick,now she's all alone again.

Thanks,I thought cocci killed faster with blood in their poop.Not seen any with the other one or this one.This chick has looked like this for a long time.But I'm going to check into it.I have safeguard as well.Farm supply should have corid.I have her in a cage next to Mercury,My injured chick for company,I think I'll move them further apart! Just in case.I had a few chicks with cocci a few years back.

Retarded chick growth is one of a symptom of Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom