Chick Not Walking as Much as it Should

Uzi

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2021
So. This chick is month and a week old. She is in a somewhat large of a cage which is like a brooder to her and 9 other chicks. She doesn't walk that much, only when she has to eat/drink. Sometimes she would climb onto my palm when I'm checking up on them and that's about it. She eats and drinks well and sometimes would try to hunt for a fly and other insects if one approaches her just like the other chicks do. Her behaviour reminds me of the broiler chicks lol! I can't tell if there's anything wrong with her or is she just being lazy.

This is what I'm doing to ensure they're healthy. I clean the cage every 4-5 days to make sure they're healthy. I change their water two times a day and I'm making sure that they always have food available, sometimes I would give them leftovers of tomatoes. Along with that I add vitamins to their water and food and spend about 1 hour a day with them in total so they're all mostly friendly.

I also wanna ask if I should find them a better place than that cage? I say It's a cage but It's more of a broother if you knwo that I mean. I just recently started taking care of the chicks about a year ago and this is where my grandma has kept the chick when she was still able to. We usually keep them in the cage until they're two to two and a half months old and then move them into a separate coop from our main coop. They're there until they're old enough to be getting out on their own. There are lots of stray cats where I live so I don't want any of them to cause harm to them.

Thanks to everyone in advance! If I need to provide you with some photos of whatever you'd like to see just let me know :)

Is this chick smaller than the rest? Have you checked its legs for swelling or deformities?

If nothing seems to be obviously wrong, perhaps it has a riboflavin deficiency. You can try giving it vitamin B-2 or get B-complex and give it to the chick each day for a few weeks and see if there's an improvement.

Is this chick smaller than the rest? Have you checked its legs for swelling or deformities?

If nothing seems to be obviously wrong, perhaps it has a riboflavin deficiency. You can try giving it vitamin B-2 or get B-complex and give it to the chick each day for a few weeks and see if there's an improvement.
The chick is about the same size as the other chicks. Well three of those chicks were hatched month and a week ago and six others are about week old. They're from a other hen but they get along pretty well so yeah, four of them are about the same size.

I can't see any issues with her legs but when she walks she lifts up her wings a little bit for some reason as if she has trouble balancing. I have seen her running a few times but then she would just lay down as if she is hot which she shouldn't be as I'm monitoring the temperature quite often. No other chick has any issues, one appeared to be having a wry neck for a day until I started giving them vitamins.

I think that there shouldn't be any need for B-2 or B-complex on its own as what I'm already giving them has every possible vitamin in it hmm. I'll see what I can do.

Would it be wise to include some vegetables into their diet? I'm already giving them tomatoes almost every day, was planning on including cucumbers

Are you giving chick grit? When you feed vegetables, grit helps to digest them better so you don't end up with constipated chicks.

If there's a B-vitamin deficiency, regular strength vitamins may not be strong enough. B-complex would have the higher amounts so as to be therapeutic.

Are you giving chick grit? When you feed vegetables, grit helps to digest them better so you don't end up with constipated chicks.

If there's a B-vitamin deficiency, regular strength vitamins may not be strong enough. B-complex would have the higher amounts so as to be therapeutic.
Okay so I gave it B vitamin like you told me to and yeah they're getting grit. I know I shouldn't be expecting much of an development for a few days but the chick is still the same. I noticed that the tiny feathers on her wings kind of stopped developing if that's the right word for it. Her wings now look as if a hamster has been chewing on them.

Back
Top Bottom