Chick overcoming Cocci

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bcait, Apr 5, 2017.

1. bcait

bcait New Egg

Apr 5, 2017
    I've raised chickens my whole life and this was the first season I had 5 chicks die from coccidiosis. I got another group of chicks and they are all great but one from the previous batch who was sick with cocci has been able to improve without medication. She's a Buff Orphington which are friendly by nature. I've put chick electrolyte and probiotic in her water and gotten medicated feed (does not treat once infected but helps prevent other issues). I've also kept her separate from the other chicks to decrease spreading the disease. A week ago this chick was severely lethargic, ruffled, barely eating or drinking, and had sticky butt syndrome. I syringe fed her dextrose water, mushed up her feed, gave cultured plain yogurt, and gently removed the poop away from blocking her up and put a small amount of olive oil on a Qtip to prevent further sticking. The biggest thing I've done is cuddle her a lot. Like several times a day. Now when I go into the room she climbs on top of her stuffed animal she sleeps under and cheeps at me. When I put my hand in her box she immediately climbs on and cuddles in. I never knew chicks could imprint the way ducks do. She's growing and has lots of energy where a week ago she appeared to be on death's doorstep. She even eats drinks and poops normal now. An outsider wouldn't know she had anything wrong. I went from syring feeding to trying to stay in the shadows when I go into her room otherwise she cheeps til I hold her. I hope this little thing continues to do well and I now believe she will.
    So anybody struggling with losing their chicks to cocci keep fighting. Change out their boxes often cause it's a fecal/oral route parasite. And cuddle these lethargic babies, they need moms. You may even get one to imprint and be as excited as your dog is to see you when you walk in the room. Happy chicken raising everybody!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. PraiseGod

PraiseGod Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Heart in Jerusalem
    Hope she makes it.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, bcait, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our flock. Sorry to hear about your cocci issue. Fingers crossed for the recovery. :fl
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :celebrate

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under bcait [​IMG] Welcome!

What a lovely story. I too hope that she continues to improve. She is a cutie!

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Great story, great little chick, great caregiver. Your introduction would be a great addition to the "Pictures & stories of my Chickens," section as well/ Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

6. kabuky

kabuky New Egg

Nov 2, 2013
    I am also a newcomer but have been raising birds (finches) and chickens for awhile. Also had pheasants, quail, etc. I had a chick imprint when a dang crow got her roommate (hate crows) when I was standing maybe 6 feet away from the pair. Anyway, I put her in the screened backyard (with cats who left her alone). " Sally" a blue giant Jersey, found that I kept the backdoor open for the cats. She would charge into the house when I got home and jump up on the couch next to me! I'd put her back out and 1 minute later Sally would be in my lap again! Smart cookie! So I put a towel in my lap and she and I would watch TV together...for hours. She was a doll. I gave her to friends when I had to move.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

What a lovely intro, so glad you're little one is much improved!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by