Chick pecked with open leg wound need help!! URGENT ( possibly disturbing pictures )

Raisintoast

Hatching
Mar 24, 2024
I went out this morning to check on our hen and her two chicks to find that one of the chicks has been pecked on the leg and it appears some of her feathers were pulled on her wing. It’s a bloody mess my mother who is a nurse practitioner is trying to hopefully close the wound ( with stitches ) but otherwise we are at a loss. We applied some hen healer as well too the surrounding area but would really appreciate any advice. My mother does not expect her to make it.
IMG_0137.jpeg
IMG_0138.jpeg

Last edited:
Poor thing!

She needs some water with electrolytes and vitamins to balance the blood loss and treat the shock.

Inspect your coop closely: can you see some wire or screws sticking out where a chick could have gotten caught or are there openings that would allow rodents to get to the chicks at night? Or maybe the chickens dug up some glass shards?

Update:
The poor thing died, we tried giving the electrolytes and vitamins but she refused to take anything I’m not really sure anything could have saved her.
As for the hen coop I am nearly 100% percent sure she was pecked by another hen we have one that has made a habit of seeking the chicks out and flinging them around but I will check the hen coop too be sure I’ve separated the mother and her remaining chick from the other hens and likely will keep it that way until that one is older

I went out this morning to check on our hen and her two chicks to find that one of the chicks has been pecked on the leg and it appears some of her feathers were pulled on her wing. It’s a bloody mess my mother who is a nurse practitioner is trying to hopefully close the wound ( with stitches ) but otherwise we are at a loss. We applied some hen healer as well too the surrounding area but would really appreciate any advice. My mother does not expect her to make it. View attachment 3780421View attachment 3780425
Don't stitch, stitches can trap bacteria inside the wound leading to more problems. It'll heal perfectly fine open. Do not cover the wound with a bandage either.
Just clean it, & apply plain none pain Relieving Triple Antibiotic Ointment to it daily.

Update:
The poor thing died, we tried giving the electrolytes and vitamins but she refused to take anything I’m not really sure anything could have saved her.
As for the hen coop I am nearly 100% percent sure she was pecked by another hen we have one that has made a habit of seeking the chicks out and flinging them around but I will check the hen coop too be sure
Very sorry you lost her.
:hugs
It is always best to keep the broody and her chicks separate from the flock for a few weeks until the chicks are big and fast enough to get away from nasty flock mates.

Sorry for your loss. I once had a broody out of a dozen who attacked her chicks. I removed them and raised them in a brooder, and did not let the broody ever hatch again. Oddly, she was one of the most friendly and sweet hens.

Update:
As for the hen coop I am nearly 100% percent sure she was pecked by another hen we have one that has made a habit of seeking the chicks out and flinging them around but I will check the hen coop too be sure I’ve separated the mother and her remaining chick from the other hens and likely will keep it that way until that one is older
I lost a chick yesterday. She was found dead in the feeder, we check every day, so it must have been some kind of accident. But such is the way of the record keeper. We learn and grow from our experience, and ensure things are as safe as possible. And so, I welcome Tectonic, my newly hatched chick, to the Disaster Flock.

I lost a chick yesterday. She was found dead in the feeder, we check every day, so it must have been some kind of accident. But such is the way of the record keeper. We learn and grow from our experience, and ensure things are as safe as possible. And so, I welcome Tectonic, my newly hatched chick, to the Disaster Flock.
Also RIP Chloroform, she was so pretty 😭

Back
Top Bottom