Chick pecking-how much is normal

Penske

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Massachusetts
My chicks hatched on MON and were received on Wednesday, so that makes them 4 days old...

How much pecking is normal? No one has been injured.

If one is sleeping with legs outstretched, another may come over and pick a couple times at the others toes...

They peck at eyes too to get them to move aside...

My brooder is 8 sq ft for 14 chicks.

They move about and pip contentedly...

All are eating and drinking...

Thanks!

For new chicks the staus quo is 1sq ft. per chick and then some as they get older. You need a bigger brooder for 14 chicks they are probably getting crowded and if not will be in a week.

My chicks peck each other all the time but not to hurt. Just like yours they will hop on one another to get one to move or if one has a speck of something on it, it will peck/nibble to get it off. If they are intentional about hurting one another you'll know by the noise they make and if feathers are missing.

I don't know very much as I've only had my chicks 2 weeks but have picked up alot of knowledge from this sight and just watching my ckicks interact with one another. I hope I've been of some help and if not I'm sure more knowledgable people will post. Good Luck with your new chicks
smile.png

For what its worth, I think different batches of chicks behave differently. Our chicks last year didn't peck at each other at al. The ones we have now spent the first several days thinking each others' toes were nice juicy worms and eyes were glittery flies. Why so different? I have no idea. Ours are almost 4 weeks now and they stopped pecking eyes and toes, but they do pick each others' loose fluff that's coming off as they feather in. This bums me out, as we have had major feather-picking isses with our existing flock over the winter. I've been supplementing with yogurt and AviaCharge2000 in case its a dietary difficiency, but honestly I think its just how this batch IS, since they were doing it since they were 1 day old. WE have a large brooder, red light, high-protein starter, everythign else is right. Go figure!

anyway, I wouldn't worry unless they're hurting each other. if blood is drawn that can be serious, and lead to cannibalism & death. Make sure the brooder is big enough, have a RED light, rather than white, and make sure feed has adequate protein. Other than that I don't know what to say.

Stacey

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it so much!

I love this site and this forum. I have gained SO much valuable info from it. I check it like 4 times a day!

Thanks again!

PS I am trying to work on a bigger brooder situation. just went dumpster diving for big boxes!!!!
smile.png

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom