Chick peeping 9 days before due hatch!

Elfie4306

Chirping
Mar 23, 2020
Maine
I got chicks from a farm near us and put them in the incubator. There has been a lot of variety in progress, and this one has started peeping and rocking the egg. This can't be good, right? What should I do?

Have you candled them to see where the air cell is at?

It’s okay to do if they’re internally pipped just don’t if they’re externally pipped through the shell.

That will tell you where they are. If you’re hearing peeping that means they’re internally pipped, but you should candle.

They were probably developing before you got them and they’ll be fine. If they’re are hatching then they’re ready. I wouldn’t worry about them being deformed or anything because chicks knows when to hatch.

Just let them do their thing. I wouldn’t turn that egg anymore or any that are internally pipped. I would candle every single one and mark which ones are internally pipped. You’ll see a triangle (their beak) in the air cell.

You should have chicks within 24-48 hours for the ones internally pipped.

The ones that aren’t internally pipped, just hand turn them. I do staggered hatches all the time. That’s why you should mark the ones internally pipped so you know which ones to hand turn.

Get your brooder ready too so that it’s nice and warm for the ones that are hatching.

Last edited:
Fortcluck already covered pretty much everything for you but I'll also add that I set an egg that had started developing in the Georgia summer heat and it hatched just fine, on day 16 of actually being in the incubator.
Candling eggs before you set them will clarify if this is what is happening in future hatches

If you find that others are also preparing for hatch I would look into your incubator temps as well. A higher temps can cause early hatches.

Have you candled them to see where the air cell is at?

It’s okay to do if they’re internally pipped just don’t if they’re externally pipped through the shell.

That will tell you where they are. If you’re hearing peeping that means they’re internally pipped, but you should candle.

They were probably developing before you got them and they’ll be fine. If they’re are hatching then they’re ready. I wouldn’t worry about them being deformed or anything because chicks knows when to hatch.

Just let them do their thing. I wouldn’t turn that egg anymore or any that are internally pipped. I would candle every single one and mark which ones are internally pipped. You’ll see a triangle (their beak) in the air cell.

You should have chicks within 24-48 hours for the ones internally pipped.

The ones that aren’t internally pipped, just hand turn them. I do staggered hatches all the time. That’s why you should mark the ones internally pipped so you know which ones to hand turn.

Get your brooder ready too so that it’s nice and warm for the ones that are hatching.
Thank you so much, this is so helpful!

Back
Top Bottom