Chick Perch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by montverdechick, Oct 7, 2010.

1. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    My chicks are two weeks old today. They are starting to fly up and sit on the water/food containers. We are going to build them a couple perches that sit abour 4 inches off the ground. Last time, we used square 1x1's. Anyone know if round perches are better? Does it really matter? Thanks!

2. It dosn't matter they will perch on anything.

3. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Our's really liked the square one we made...... plus it was easier to put onto a base with the flat sides!

4. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    We made a round perch just their size at 2 weeks old, within 1 week they were slipping off of it. Now at 3 1/2 weeks their perch is a 1x2 up on 5" blocks we had in the shed, and they love it.

[​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens' toes don't curl around a round pole, so flat makes more sense to me. JMO.

Love watching babies learn to roost, and play on perches.

6. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Great ideas! Good thinking!... Not to mention, inspiring :)

7. CrazyBirdLady21

CrazyBirdLady21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2010
    I bought a perch for African Greys at Petsmart, and my babies loved it. I had a wire top on my brooder, and hung it from that. They only bad thing is, the brooder was in my bedroom, and every night, they would jump off the perch, and it would go flying around the brooder, knocking on the walls. Scared me to death. [​IMG]

8. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    My 4 week olds have decided that the two flat 1" roosts are no fun, so they all try to roost on the cord for the heat lamp. The thing is tied up tight, so I am not worried about them knocking it down, but it just makes me wonder sometimes [​IMG]

9. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    Excellent feedback from all! Thanks...we will stick with the square perch. Glad we had it right the first time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by