Chick piped with head behind knee

Chickycammy

Songster
6 Years
Feb 15, 2018
North Carolina
Some of my very last eggs are hatching and one piped this morning and has made a bit of progress with zipping but suddenly stopped. I took a look through the hole it's made and I see the head isn't under the wing, you can clearly see it's head under the knee. Its feet aren't anywhere to be seen and I'm wondering if I'll need to step in to help it hatch.

Has anyone had one hatch with its head behind its knee?

Generally if they aren't in the right position they can't hatch by themselves. If he's started unzipping and stopped (they shouldn't when unzipping) then it's time to step in and help out. :thumbsup

Generally if they aren't in the right position they can't hatch by themselves. If he's started unzipping and stopped (they shouldn't when unzipping) then it's time to step in and help out. :thumbsup

I helped by chipping away at the shell and then left him to come out on his own. He's out now but seems very weak. Not really holding his head up, he's breathing heavy and is moving his legs and peeping but he seems like he's having a hard time with lifting his head for sure.

I hope his head being behind his knee didn't hurt his neck. He's a Barred Rock so already so tiny.

I almost wonder if he hatched early. He looks odd to me. All the others looked different.

Attachments

• 20180326_155444-1.jpg
    20180326_155444-1.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 15
Different how? Hopefully once he's fluffed up he'll look better. Poor little thing. :love

The other chicks hatched out with more fluff and were dry within an hour. Also, it didn't take long for the swollen part of the neck to go down and look normal. This little one looks more naked, his neck is swollen a lot and his toes are staying curled together.

Back
Top Bottom