Chick piped with head behind knee

You tape the toes straight. You cut a piece of cardboard about the size and shape of the foot (slightly larger is better than smaller) to put under the foot then you tape the toes onto the cardboard so they are sitting in a natural position. You can use a bandaid or vet tape etc to secure the toes. After a couple of days the toes will have reset. It takes the chick awhile to work out how to walk with that funny boot/s but they manage. I'd let your little one recover before doing anything like that though.

You tape the toes straight. You cut a piece of cardboard about the size and shape of the foot (slightly larger is better than smaller) to put under the foot then you tape the toes onto the cardboard so they are sitting in a natural position. You can use a bandaid or vet tape etc to secure the toes. After a couple of days the toes will have reset. It takes the chick awhile to work out how to walk with that funny boot/s but they manage. I'd let your little one recover before doing anything like that though.

Thank you so much. Once 24 hours have gone by if it's doing any better I'll give that a try. We decided we needed to call it something so we named it Itsy.

I would not be giving water to a chick who has just hatched. The chances of causing it to aspirate are very high.

If his toes are still curled tomorrow, you can address taping them then.

I used an eye dropper and only let a tiny amount touch its beak. It seemed to help it as it's got a lot more energy than before.

It would have more energy anyways simply b/c it has rested a bit. Your chick, your hatch, your decision. Personally, I'd not chance it. BUT, congrats on a successful assist, and congrats on calling it correctly regarding assisting when you saw the failure to zip and the malposition.

Back
Top Bottom