Chick pipped almost 48 hours ago and still no zip

ESDC

Hatching
May 12, 2022
My chick pipped late Tuesday night and now, almost 2 days later, still hasn't zipped. She's breathing and chirps every now and then, but has made almost no progress. I read somewhere that you can cut a tiny piece of membrane and if there's blood then the chick isn't ready for you to help it break out of the shell. I did this and there was blood. This is my first time incubating chicken eggs. I'm lost on what to do next. Thanks in advance.

Here is an Article 'Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry'. If it has been over 48 hours, the chick may be what was your humidity and temp during and at lockdown? Can you post pictures of the egg?
The temp during lockdown has been 36.8 degrees Celsius. 0512222050a.jpg

The humidity has been 63 percent. She also looks like she could be shrink wrapped, but I'm not sure since I'm so new to this

Hopefully you have been able to follow the article. Use vegetable oil coconut oil or Vaseline on the membrane. If the chick is no longer opening and closing its mouth the veins should shrivel so you can get it out. Try to let it do as much as you can on its own.

I'm so nervous.
Don't be! It's not that scary. I had 3 assists my first hatch. This is what has worked for me and I'm by no means an expert.

Just slowly work your way down from the top beginning where the air cell is. If you see blood stop, and wait a little longer, if no blood slowly progress until your almost halfway down, place back in incubator and let him finishing pushing himself out. He may be a little extra weak and wobbly if he was really stuck for close to 48 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom