Chick Pipped but no movement for 12 hours

katelwil

Songster
Apr 16, 2021
Hello everyone, I am feeling a bit paranoid because I already have 1 chick that pipped, fully zipped and passed. It is only day 20 but I'm hatching silkies.

2 have already had a successful hatch and the one that passed was the 3rd to pip. I examined it and it was fully formed, no deformities, I was a bit concerned about that one from the start, it had a slight abnormality of the shell, but it did so well with zipping! The yolk had been fully absorbed as well. I wish I had checked on it sooner but I didn't anticipate it having any issues at this point :(

Now for the 4th egg, there was a pip soon after the 3rd egg, but no chirping, no movement for at leave 12 hours. If I hadn't lost the 3rd chick, I probably wouldn't be this paranoid right now! I have never previously lost a chick during hatch and I'm just sick about it. Egg 4 has had the tip of its beak out of the shell since pip.

I have the temp around 97-98 and unfortunately I do not have any way to tell my humidity level. I do need to get something to track that. The incubator I am using is ancient and been passed down through the family (nothing fancy at all, but never had any issues with it). I also hatched 4 other silkies just about 2 or 3 months ago and had no issues.

If I had the humidity level too high during the hatch, would that have caused the chicks to pass?

Thanks in advance , I appreciate any help!

If you've had 2 others hatch successfully before egg number 3 I'd say it had something wrong with it that you couldn't see perhaps. If the humidity was too high it would affect all the eggs and high humidity means the air cells don't grow large enough to sustain the chicks until they make an external pip, so they'd be unlikely to even get to the externally pipped stage before dying.

If I'm worried about an egg I will take it out and try and work out what's going on. Others won't open their incubator, but I think it's my responsibility to do everything I can to help my chicks hatch successfully because any issues they are having are likely my fault for not having the incubator set up just right (we can't be as perfect as mother hens). I would candle it to see if it is moving at all. You should be able to see it breathing at least. Chicks can take 24 hours from external pip to the unzipping stage but I would check to make sure it is still alive rather than waiting and hoping seeing as you haven't seen evidence of any movement. Sometimes they never make a peep but still hatch out just fine, but the fact you haven't seen movement concerns me.

Occasionally they do externally pip and unfortunately die. A lot of changes have to happen in the chicks body in the transition from the egg to hatching and sometimes something goes wrong and we can't prevent it or fix it as much as we might want to be able to.

:fl for your remaining egg.

Is it gasping/chewing? I usually wait until it stopped before trying to do any assistance.
No last night it wasn't making any movement or noise :( I let it be over night with my fingers crossed and checked this morning. Still nothing. Unfortunately the chick died:/ I think it had been dead last night, I just wish I had known to check on them sooner. Thanks for the help!

If you've had 2 others hatch successfully before egg number 3 I'd say it had something wrong with it that you couldn't see perhaps. If the humidity was too high it would affect all the eggs and high humidity means the air cells don't grow large enough to sustain the chicks until they make an external pip, so they'd be unlikely to even get to the externally pipped stage before dying.

If I'm worried about an egg I will take it out and try and work out what's going on. Others won't open their incubator, but I think it's my responsibility to do everything I can to help my chicks hatch successfully because any issues they are having are likely my fault for not having the incubator set up just right (we can't be as perfect as mother hens). I would candle it to see if it is moving at all. You should be able to see it breathing at least. Chicks can take 24 hours from external pip to the unzipping stage but I would check to make sure it is still alive rather than waiting and hoping seeing as you haven't seen evidence of any movement. Sometimes they never make a peep but still hatch out just fine, but the fact you haven't seen movement concerns me.

Occasionally they do externally pip and unfortunately die. A lot of changes have to happen in the chicks body in the transition from the egg to hatching and sometimes something goes wrong and we can't prevent it or fix it as much as we might want to be able to.

:fl for your remaining egg.
Unfortunately the chick was dead :( I checked this morning. Thank you so much for the feedback, really strange that the last 2 had troubles but not the first 2. I think this will definitely change me not interfering during lock down.
If I can help I definitely would!
Thanks again ❤ you did ease my conscience a bit :)

Here are the little ones that did hatch :) one is a silkie, the other is a cochin naked neck (what the breeder told me). Both very cute :)

I believe the 4th chick would have been a black silkie and the 3rd chick looked to be a blue cream showgirl :( wish those two had made it!
20210625_125127.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the little ones that did hatch :) one is a silkie, the other is a cochin naked neck (what the breeder told me). Both very cute :)

I believe the 4th chick would have been a black silkie and the 3rd chick looked to be a blue cream showgirl :( wish those two had made it!
View attachment 2734650
Those two are adorable, but sorry you lost the others. They sounded like they would have been beautiful too. :hugs

Please someone correct me if I’m wrong, but could the humidity have been a factor? You indicated that you cannot monitor humidity right now, and I am guessing you were opening the incubator several times presumably to check/remove the first two chicks, and then check on the other eggs? Would shrink wrapping or something similar be a possibility? (Btw I’m very much a meddler also during “lockdown”! :) )

Please someone correct me if I’m wrong, but could the humidity have been a factor? You indicated that you cannot monitor humidity right now, and I am guessing you were opening the incubator several times presumably to check/remove the first two chicks, and then check on the other eggs? Would shrink wrapping or something similar be a possibility? (Btw I’m very much a meddler also during “lockdown”! :) )
Hahaha, I did open to peek for a moment:) (I can't help myself either) but I am certain they were not shrink wrapped. If there was an issue with humidity I would think that the issue would be it being too high. I have since gotten a reader so I'm excited to use it on my next hatch! Not sure when that will be 😂 but I'm ready when that time comes!

Back
Top Bottom