Chick pipped the wrong end

Jul 22, 2021
1 chick under my hen pipped the wrong end some time last night/early morning. I've left it under her as Idk if she will help it hatch? I'm prepared to assist if necessary but I also don't know how long I should wait before helping?

1 chick under my hen pipped the wrong end some time last night/early morning. I've left it under her as Idk if she will help it hatch? I'm prepared to assist if necessary but I also don't know how long I should wait before helping?
I have a duckling who just did the same thing, so I'll be watching this thread for answers you get. I hope all goes well ❤️

I commented on your other thread as well. I am not an expert or anything but from reading other threads they say as long as it pipped through both shell and membrane it should be fine. But it could take longer since it is pretty much like the chick both internally and externally pipped at the same time.

I commented on your other thread as well. I am not an expert or anything but from reading other threads they say as long as it pipped through both shell and membrane it should be fine. But it could take longer since it is pretty much like the chick both internally and externally pipped at the same time.
This is what I had read also, my only concern after that was if it shrink wrapped from the extended hatch time because we have temperatures peaking in the triple digits but it has hatched and its my first blue chick. It seemed like it was struggling cause it's beak was out and catching the shell while it was trying to turn so I did help it start the zip and left the membrane alone and once I'd pulled away maybe 1\4 an inch of shell next to the pip hole it was able to pull it's beak back in and I put it back under the hen to finish hatching alone so I'm glad it only needed minimal help. I did that at 4am and by 12pm it's hatched.

Back
Top Bottom