Chick Pricing

Poultrybonkers

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 22, 2011
My Coop
My Coop
For those who hatch what prices are you selling your chicks for and what state/country are you in and are they pures or mixes. Because around me people are complaining that mixed chicks are to expensive at $6 which is what I'm charging for my silkies and easter eggers and this is new york so what are everyone elses chicks prices they are charging. Mine are sold straight run btw. Heres a cute chick pic in the mean time
20230206_114457.jpg
20230207_115342.jpg

I only had one lady ask if she could get a discount if she bought six. I think I was selling $6 each. I did tell her no because she was asking for females. She decided not to buy any. I was okay with that.

Are you NPIP? That would command a higher asking price. I am assuming in NY it's a requirement to do so legally. I am in Maryland and would pay $6 a chick for quality chicks with good parent stock for silkies and easter eggers.
Npip is for out of state sales I cant get that as i don't have enough birds to be tested

I haven't had much luck selling straight-run chicks even at only $5 each for mixed breeds.

I do much better selling POL pullets but am going to try selling started pullets just off heat -- 5-6 weeks -- at $8-10 for either mixed breeds or pure Australorps.
Well I sold 3 chicks 2 pure silkies and an ee chick today for $18 I usually sell adult hens under a year after im done breeding or started pullets as i prefer to process males and not a female that could be useful to someone. Bit even hatchery prices are 4-6 now

I have seen from $5-$15 for straight run pure bred chicks, depending on “fancy level.” Lavender orp $10 for example. This is around Atlanta. Not sure how well they’re selling, but that’s what Craigslist’s looking like

Im in NY and I just got sex pullets shipped to me for about $7 a pop (factoring in shipping). One of my friends got theirs shipped from tractor supply, which was even cheaper ($5-$6). meanwhile another friend gets theirs from my pet chicken, and we well know how expensive that is. I guess my point is, the right price is just a variable that changes with what people are willing to pay.

Personally though, I wouldn’t pay $6ea for straight run chicks unless it’s a very specific breed that I want…

Npip is for out of state sales I cant get that as i don't have enough birds to be tested
Got you, I'm in Maryland. Here, it's not even legal to sell chicks or hatching eggs in state much less out of state without NPIP. Currently I am only selling table eggs with my state packer/producer license until my stock is good enough to be worthwhile to maintain an NPIP.

Back
Top Bottom