Chick problem - started with an eye issue

11squawkers

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
El Dorado County CA
Need help, very worried about a new chick. Got 6 chicks almost 3 weeks ago and they've been in great shape, til this morning when I was alerted to something wrong by a loud peep. Checked in on the chicks and one of the Brown Leghorns had one eye shut. Separated it from the rest right away. Took a warm washcloth and wiped the eye and rinsed with saline. Put a dab of neosporin on the lid since it looked a little red.

Kept the chick with me on my lap when after about half hour or so noticed the chick had its beak open so figured it needed water. Took the chick in my bathroom to give water and it kind of shot out a huge runny poop, luckily right into the bathroom sink.

It seems the chick is fatigued but it opening the eye more than before. But should I be concerned about the runny poop? I really dont want to lose my chick or risk any other illness in my other new chicks. They have been getting medicated chick starter as well as nutridrench in their water every other day or so. With probiotics here and there. No treats have been given yet but a few days ago I did put in a small tray of dirt, wood ash and DE mixed together since I noticed they were dust bathing in their bedding. I have the chick in a box near a heater with some water with nutridrench and mash as well But the chick doesn't want to eat or drink.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Oh and dont trust the local avian vet anymore, they've been no help with any and every issue we have had sofar.

With the alarm peep, my first inclination is that this is an injury. It's possible your chick got pecked or scratched in the eye by one of its broodmates. Injury and stress can do many things to chicken poops.

It's also possible that, if you handle your chicks AFTER you do the rest of your chickens, they have picked up something from your hands. A squinty, swollen eye can indicate Coryza. Her head would have a sickly, off odor if that were the case.

It also could be a respiratory infection, but there would be wheezing, nasal drainage, and heavy breathing.

I would do what you're doing and keep it isolate to allow time to heal.

Sometimes, after an injury, a chick can go into a mild shock and go off food and water for a little while. It is VITAL you keep the chick hydrated. If it quits drinking completely, that means we are dealing with something more serious than an injury... Please let us know if that happens.

If the odd symptoms were accompanied by a loud, single peep and then a chick not feeling well, I would keep doing what you're doing. Perhaps offer some boiled egg to encourage the little one to eat something. :)

Keep us posted!

MrsB

Thank you so much for your response Mrs. B.
It was a loud single peep that had alerted me this morning. I do ALWAYS wash my hand before handling the new chicks, so much so that my hands have dry patches. And I have seen the chicks peck each other right in the eye, many times, silly little things, so hoping its just an injury thay will heal. I am most concerned about the watery poop as the chick just forcefully shot this out a few minutes ago

It doesn't smell different or isn't a different color, just really watery. And speaking of smell I stuck my nose right to the chicks head and do not smell any odor, so hopefully not coryza. Thanks for that tidbit of info, I will keep checking for any off odor. Also no labored breathing or nasal drainage at all, will keep an eye out for that too, but every so often I heat a slight wheeze maybe? Do chicks snore? Cause I have only heard it faintly while its sleeping, not sure if it is a wheeze?
I'll keep a close watch to see if the chick eats or drinks. It seems like the chick is so tired. This fatigue and the watery poop have me worried but hopefully it is just due to the stress. As for the boiled egg, is that just a hard boiled egg? Do you give the whole thing chopped up or just the yolk? And how warm does the chick need to be? I have it away from the others and the heat lamp, but do have it wrapped in a towel in a box in a room with a heater. I feel so worried :(

Thank you so much for your response Mrs. B.
It was a loud single peep that had alerted me this morning. I do ALWAYS wash my hand before handling the new chicks, so much so that my hands have dry patches. And I have seen the chicks peck each other right in the eye, many times, silly little things, so hoping its just an injury thay will heal. I am most concerned about the watery poop as the chick just forcefully shot this out a few minutes ago

It doesn't smell different or isn't a different color, just really watery. And speaking of smell I stuck my nose right to the chicks head and do not smell any odor, so hopefully not coryza. Thanks for that tidbit of info, I will keep checking for any off odor. Also no labored breathing or nasal drainage at all, will keep an eye out for that too, but every so often I heat a slight wheeze maybe? Do chicks snore? Cause I have only heard it faintly while its sleeping, not sure if it is a wheeze?
I'll keep a close watch to see if the chick eats or drinks. It seems like the chick is so tired. This fatigue and the watery poop have me worried but hopefully it is just due to the stress. As for the boiled egg, is that just a hard boiled egg? Do you give the whole thing chopped up or just the yolk? And how warm does the chick need to be? I have it away from the others and the heat lamp, but do have it wrapped in a towel in a box in a room with a heater. I feel so worried
sad.png

A stressed/injured chicken needs to be ~80-85 degrees, especially a chick that's not yet fully feathered.

And yes, just a hard boiled egg all mushed together on a little dish. I've yet to meet a chicken that will pass up a boiled egg. Just make sure it's cooked through with no runny yolk (but not so much that the outer membrane of the yolk turns green-gray... That's the sulfur in the yolk starting to get overheated, which is toxic in large amounts - but you'd have to eat A LOT).

If there was wheezing with the breathing, you'd know it. It would be quite obvious, so if it's just a little "honk" while it sleeps, that's probably a chicken thing.

I would add some electrolytes to the water and give her a few drops via syringe. It will perk her up a little and give her the strength to peck a little at the egg.

I'm very sorry for your poor, sweet baby. I hope we are able to mend her!

MrsB

Ok, very good to know, and thank you for your care and concern! I did boil and mash an egg but the chick just wants to sleep, wont yet eat or drink. I tried to get the chick to drink a little by dipping my finger in water mixed with the electrolytes and dripping it on her beak. Don't know how much got in. Will try a syringe next but am scared to drown the chick.

Just make it so a little drop appears on the syringe (without a needle!) and bring the chick to the drop. :) Sometimes, it takes a little while for them to come around.

I hope she thrives!

MrsB

Wanted to update, my chick is 100% better, Thank you Mrs.B so much for your help! That night around 9pm she finally started to eat the mashed boiled egg and slowly started opening that hurt eye little by little. And now you couldn't tell that anything was wrong, yay! I love this site and its helpful members. I bought so many books (Chicken Health Handbook, Chicken Encyclopedia, Raising Poultry, Gardening with Guineas) and theres good info in there but when it comes to those scary moments when something is wrong with our babies it means so much to have the help and support of others with experience and suggestions you'd never find in any book! I did not know about the boiled egg but boy oh boy did the chicks LOVE it!
:weee

Back
Top Bottom