Chick Problems. I Need Some Advice!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhino533, Dec 5, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    I have 6day old chicks which I hatched from my incubator. Yesterday and Today I've had some die. (3 in total) All of the ones that have died, there crops were full of water. No food but completely full of water. This must be the reason they died. Does anyone know why this happened or has anyone had any similar experiences. Could it be a defect from when they hatched? Disease? Any comments would be really helpful!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. bigg

bigg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Tullahoma, TN
    how deep are their waterers they should be no more than a 1/4 of an inch deep ive had a whole batch of guineas die from them having to deep of a waterer.

3. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    It sounds like they might be trying to cool off and drinking themselves to death. How hot is it where you have the chicks? How much room have they got to move around and away from the heat source? What kind of feed and/or feeder?

4. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    my advice would be to see what the true temp is, and give them room to move from the heat. i keep my temp at 100

5. johnson215

johnson215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    bunnlevel, nc
    i had one dye before and it was due to overheating so i had to make sure there was plenty of space for them to move away from the heat source and i raised the heat lamp up further away from them... you can really tell by the way they gather around the heat lamp if it at the right level been raising chicks for 4 years and haven't had any problems since!!! good luck on the next ones:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by