Chick Question

Mary631

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
My chicks are 3 weeks old, begining to get lots of feathers. My Question is: How and when can I tell if they are hens or roosters?
All advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Oh sorry. These are my first chicks so I am not terribly knowledgable yet.

They are a cross Rhode Island Red and Buff Orpington.
I got these from a friend who gave me the eggs, lent me the incubator, etc. she told me to look for spurs, but they all look the same to me.
roll.png

I cant keep any roosters, so I was wondering what I had!

By about 5-6 weeks the roosters comb grows above the head. The pullets stay very close to the head. The roos will also get red and show developing wattles by that age and the pullets won't. That's a start. You can also post pics and we can try to help. But typically you won't know until at least 5 weeks and even then it can be questionable sometimes.

All chicks have spur bumps. Roosters don't really show good spurs until almost a year old and even a hen can grow spurs. Not a good way to sex them IMO.

Jody

Thank you all so much. Gritsar, I did like the info from the link you gave me. I may not have 100% hens. Ill just have to be more patient. I am having a time of my life with these little guys. you all have been so helpful, thank you!

About he time they go from chirping to clucking the roos will be letting you know the sun has begun it's journey across the sky!
big_smile.png
But before that, the combs a waddles should become much more pronounced on the roos

Back
Top Bottom