Chick questions

gabrielle1976

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Columbia river gorge
Ok I have a few questions ill list them with numbers to make it easer .

1. I have a barred rock chick thats just about 5 weeks old his/her comb is a tad taller and is starting to turn a deeper reddish color at the base instead of the yellowish orangish color it use to be and that the others still are. I only have the one barred rock the others with combs are RIR. Is this a breed diffrence or what?
2. It just hit me that everyone talks about chicks being ready to go outside when all there feathers grow in , mine are about 4/5ths the way there I would say but what about my silkie as she grows she replaces fuzz with fuzz and only has a few stragley feathers on her wings..can silkies be out side and when ?
3. My silkie dosnt have a comb like the other chickies is this normal?
4. Whats the best thing to get that horrible brown poop stain out of carpet
sickbyc.gif
I have been letting the chickes out of there box 2 times a day for about 30 minutes to free range the bed room, and they all usually poop twice .
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

1. I have a barred rock chick thats just about 5 weeks old his/her comb is a tad taller and is starting to turn a deeper reddish color at the base instead of the yellowish orangish color it use to be and that the others still are. I only have the one barred rock the others with combs are RIR. Is this a breed diffrence or what?

I'm guessing it's just a variation between the two breeds. I've got 1 BR and 1 RIR. They aged a bit differently.

2. It just hit me that everyone talks about chicks being ready to go outside when all there feathers grow in , mine are about 4/5ths the way there I would say but what about my silkie as she grows she replaces fuzz with fuzz and only has a few stragley feathers on her wings..can silkies be out side and when ?

I don't know about silkies but if s/he is the same age as the others, s/he should be fine. My last brood went outside at about 5 weeks of age, which was the end of June/early July. This current brood will probably go out a bit later, since they'll be quite a bit smaller than the adults and I don't want them to get injured by the adult birds. They'll probably move to the garage once fully feathered.

3. My silkie dosnt have a comb like the other chickies is this normal?

Yup. Silkies have very differnt combs than RIR & BRs.

4. Whats the best thing to get that horrible brown poop stain out of carpet I have been letting the chickes out of there box 2 times a day for about 30 minutes to free range the bed room, and they all usually poop twice .

That's cecal poo. you're right - it's pretty dang nasty.
1. Let them run around on linoleum or tile, or even outside if you've got time to be with them and the weather cooperates.
2. Use any carpet cleaner to get the stain out.
3. They only poop twice? You're lucky. Mine poop twice in the first minute they're out.​

My girls (I hope) are now 4 wks old and all growing at different rates. Of the 3 barred rocks I have a small, med, and large one with differing lengths and colors of combs. They started out growing much bigger and faster than the BO, RIR, and EE's. One of the BO is now speeding up in growth so she's almost the size of the largest BR.

Some people put the chicks out at 2 wks with a red heat lamp and they do just fine.

Carpet stains - I use this great stuff called 'Spot Shot'. Comes in a can but noticed the last time I bought some it was in pump form but haven't tried it. It takes out anything. Just spray the spot, let it sit a couple minutes, spray a rag a little and then wipe or rub the spot and it's gone.

Enjoy your fast growing chicks.

Quote:
Cecal poo is normal and happens about every 6 to 8 stools (depending on which source you read):

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

If it looks like melted chocolate and stinks to high heaven, it's probably cecal poo.
sickbyc.gif

Thanks, I was worried about my poults. That link helped. Can cecal poo happen more often? And does it always stink?
By the way sorry for the hyjacking of your post.

Quote:
I guess stink is a relative thing. I live surrounded by commercial chicken houses, so nothing on this farm compares to that in my mind.
There should be normal stools in between the cecal poos. I guess we just notice them more.

Back
Top Bottom