Chick Questions

Rhys2112

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Hi
I have a couple of questions about some chicks on the way.
1- when the chicks start hatching and I can see cracks in the shell should I leave them under the broody?
2- how many hours of light should the chicks have with mom or should I leave it on all the time.
3- when can they start going outside for short periods of time
4- how many weeks until I upgrade there food to the next level feed. Also will mom eat there food

Thanks in advance

1- when the chicks start hatching and I can see cracks in the shell should I leave them under the broody?
Leave them with her. If you're using a broody hen to raise the chicks, don't pull any out as this will upset her and can make her abandon the other chicks. Remember she sees you as a predator to her babies at this point.

2- how many hours of light should the chicks have with mom or should I leave it on all the time.
They should be fine without a heat lamp. If they are enclosed where they don't get sunshine and you're talking about just a regular light, then at least 12 hours or so. Just let it follow whatever your sunshine schedule is now. Turn the lamp on around dawn (or when you get up), off at around dusk.

3- when can they start going outside for short periods of time
After a day or so the mom will start taking them outside. Life is tough for a baby chick, but if she's a good mother she will watch out for them. I would keep them away from other chickens for some time, as sometimes adult chickens will see the baby chicks as just another critter to eat
hmm.png

4- how many weeks until I upgrade there food to the next level feed. Also will mom eat there food
The mother will have to eat their food yes. They should be on a start/grow until they are almost to the point of lay (depends on the breed). They can be seperated from their mother as soon as they are feathered in enough and the nights are warm enough to be without her. Or, you can pull them inside at any time and brood them inside, but might as well let the broody do her job. They will get more and more independant around 6+ weeks and she will probably want to rejoin the flock by then.

1- when the chicks start hatching and I can see cracks in the shell should I leave them under the broody? I would, let the hen do her job
2- how many hours of light should the chicks have with mom or should I leave it on all the time. Depending on where you live, if it's light and warm, let her be, if cold outside, give her 16-18 hours.
3- when can they start going outside for short periods of time Mom will take them when she feels it's safe
4- how many weeks until I upgrade there food to the next level feed. Also will mom eat there food I leave mine on started for 4 weeks, then switch to grower.

Good luck with your chicks, post pics when they hatch!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom