1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Resuscitation

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Sheriff, Feb 16, 2013.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I received chicks last week that traveled from Florida to California. When they arrived, two of the chicks were apparently DOA, both of them stuck in cups of GroGel, one up to its neck. I rushed them home, rinsed the Grogel off so they could move their wings and chests. I used a blow dryer, chest massage, and stimulation to revive them. Both chicks were cold and stiff and showed no signs of life when I started working on them. I videotaped the effort. It is 24 minutes long but if you want to know what I did, here is the video. When hypothermia is involved, the rule of thumb is nobody is dead until they are warm and dead.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Wow are they lucky they were sent to you!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. yeah, seriously!!!

4. rarebear

rarebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    WOW WOW WOW. That was anazing.

5. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

This is wonderful, good job! How did you follow up caring for them, and how did they do afterwards?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by