Chick rolling out from mother?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sgsf, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Well, this is the 2nd time my little Bantam Cochin started sitting on eggs. Last time all went well besides one little chicken passing away [​IMG]. And this time, a chick has already been lost. The first time she sat, it was 9 eggs. This time, 17 eggs. Some of hers, MAYBE Silkies, and EEs. But whenever I go to check up on her, the one little check thats out right now seems to be having a hard time getting up under her in a position so he/she can get warmth from the mother.

So the past few times I've put the little chick in a position up under, and it's kind of hard with all the eggs. And the little chick sat in their for a while, but I found him/her sitting beside the mother when I went out there. He wasn't up under her, but right beside here. I took some of the eggs out. About 3, so it could give the little chick some room. But it's still kind of crowded. What should I do?

Also, I have a heat lamp shining down where the chick sometimes falls out. It's about 1-2 feet away from the chick, and when I stick my hand where the chick is, I barely feel any heat.

2. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Bump [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by