Chick Run/Brooded

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by I Love Layers, Mar 30, 2016.

1. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Any suggestions for what to put, and what you would need in a chick run. We're tearing down my chicken run and making a 8x5 chick run instead, I already have rabbit cages, that I used for my show rabbits that are very sturdy, made out of wood everywhere except the bottom and one side. I have plenty of chick supplies etc.
    I'm just looking for fun ideas, and ways to help chick proof

2. jessivogel

jessivogel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    Palisade, NE
    My suggestion would be to definitely use hardware cloth and not chicken wire. And definitely something over the top :)

3. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    That's a good idea!! Never thought of using hardware cloth!!

4. jessivogel

jessivogel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    Palisade, NE

Yup! I don't know if you have predators in your area or not- but they can tear through chicken wire pretty easily. Hardware cloth is more pricey- but when it's coming down to the lives of your birds... Well I believe it's worth the investment. And I would go with 1/2" x 1/2" spacing. That way nothing can reach in to get them- and they can't stick their heads out. :)

5. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Yeah I have lots of predators. I also have a LGD though too. They can't rip through chicken wire as easily if you out it on the inside of the pen though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by